Bath Time

Summary: The Doctor (Ten) is giving Elise a bath and it doesn't exactly go as planned.

A/N - This is more of a "What if...?"

"Elise! Come inside!" the Doctor yelled.

The small brunette came running into the TARDIS covered in mud.

They had stopped at a park, but it had been raining.

Elise had run out and started playing, getting mud all over her pants and shoes. The Doctor didn't join her, but he kept an eye on the monitor as she played right outside the doors. Elise found everything interesting, especially when they were on earth. She was a curious child by nature.

In the past few months since the Doctor had found Elise, she had given him multiple heart attacks. It didn't help that this incarnation was filled with anxious energy. Adding a child to the list of things he had to worry about was going to cause him to regenerate. He'd already run off without her multiple times and sometimes he even lost her in the TARDIS, although he suspected the blue box was on Elise's side a lot of the time and kept changing the doors on him to keep her hidden.

The Doctor took one look at her and said, "You need a bath, little one". He picked her up and carried her to the bathroom.

The TARDIS had gone for a bathroom suited to a child. The bathtub had a shower curtain with fish on it, a sink low enough that she could reach it, and a varied selection of bubble baths. The TARDIS had already filled the bathtub and set out some shampoo and conditioner.

The Doctor liked that his blue box had already accepted Elise as her own. "Okay, time to get you out of these wet clothes". He knelt down in front of her and started to remove her shoes, but she stepped out of his reach. "Elise..." he said, about to start scolding her.

She sat down and took off her shoes and wet socks, followed by her pants and the rest of her clothes. When she was done, the Doctor picked her up and put her in the bathtub and wetted down her hair. Elise played with the toys the TARDIS had provided as the Doctor lathered the shampoo into her brown curls.

He rinsed her hair with a cup and did the same with the conditioner, all the while Elise sat there and played quietly.

Elise was a quiet child and the Doctor wasn't sure if she didn't have the ability to speak or if she actively chose not to. But it didn't matter to him. Elise was a Timelord, which meant she was better off with him than someone else.

"There. All done", he said and kissed her head, "Now, I'll be in the control room". The Doctor stood up and dried his hands off on a towel. He needed to work on the console and the TARDIS would alert him if something was wrong with her.

At least the TARDIS had provided a bathroom as close to the control room as possible.

As he turned his back, he felt water hit the back of his head. He turned back around and saw Elise sitting in the bathtub with an innocent look on her face. "You little Dalek", he muttered under his breath as he turned to leave again. He was hit again, but this time he didn't turn around. He knew she wanted him to.

She was doing this to get attention.

He spun around, surprising her and found her filling her mouth with water. "Elise Smith!"

The Doctor took one step towards the bathtub and slipped on the water covering the floor. He went sliding forward and landed in the water right in front of Elise with his legs hanging over the side of the tub.

She laughed as he smoothed his wet hair away from his eyes.

He groaned and rubbed his head.

Elise's eyes went wide in fear and she immediately started crying. She hadn't meant to hurt him! She was only playing!

"Hey, it's okay. I'm alright", the Doctor cooed, "Just a little bump on the head".

She shook her head and he wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't worry about me. I'm just a clumsy old Doctor. We should get you dried off and into bed". The Doctor set her down and climbed out of the tub, before helping her out and wrapping her up in a warm towel courtesy of the TARDIS. He dried off his own hair and said, "See? Totally fine".

Elise gave him a small smile and he led her out of the bathroom.