Chapter 8

Jeju Island, Year 1970

It wasn't a serene night for people in Jeju Island. Usually, it would still be quiet despite a thunderstorm, but that time, the thunderstorm seemed connected to the events happening in the island.

Never-ending clamor filled the island. Cries that held pain, grief, violence and terror. People, both dead and alive, were scattered to the shore. Some fought with all their might, having only their determination as their weapon. However, some already accepted their fate ㅡ death.

They were attacked by vicious creatures, werewolves, which they considered monsters.

Werewolves devoured those who fought against them. Fortunately, some people managed to kill the monsters using their swords, bow and arrow, and daggers.

There was chaos under the large Ominous Moon. Howls and shrieks mixed and resulted into a deafening and traumatic noise.

During that chaotic night, a woman bound to an immortal life, awaited her disaster inside a cabin. A portentous howl echoed, followed by a loud bang to the door. The woman whipped her head and waited for the wolves to enter the cabin. In a split second, the cabin's door was slammed open, almost broken. The wolf with a fur as white as snow entered and assailed her. The wolf was pinning her hard to the ground, its canines screaming in hunger.

However, she let her assailant. She was accepting her horrible fate.

"You shouldn't have been born, Jihyo." The wolf spoke.

A lone tear escaped from Jihyo's eyes.

"That's what I told myself since then." She answered.

Jihyo was the most powerful lycan alive. Vicious werewolves were all after her because of the immortality she held.

"People are dying because of you. That's all your fault." The wolf pierced its sharp claws to Jihyo's arms, earning a long shriek from her. Later the wolf stepped backwards and watched Jihyo intently.

Jihyo did not fight back, instead she took the bokken she hid in her pocket for almost 1000 years and aimed it at her chest, directly where her heart was. She was immortal but her bokken was not a typical one, as it held the same power as hers. If their immortality collides, she would vanish and the latter would disintegrate into the unknown.

"If my existence means other people's death, I'd rather die." She said while gripping the bokken.

The white wolf was just watching her, seeming uninterested in her drama. But deep down, it wanted its claws to kill Jihyo.

She quickly pierced her heart and saved the people.

After the appearance of the Ominous Moon, everything went back to normal.

Jihyo vanished alongside with her bokken.

No one remembered anything.

No one remembered her.

Ahn Jihyo’s POV

"So where have you been?" Jihyo asked Sunwoo.

They decided to go to Sunwoo's tree house after their class.

"I was given a task by my father." Sunwoo answered.

We were talking closely, a few centimeters away from each other. For what reason, I don't know.

"How did it go?"

Sunwoo bent his knees, leveling his head on mine.

"Why are you so interested?" He asked mischievously.

Does he think I'm interested in him?

I shook my head. My initial reaction was to push him, my palms placed on his chest.

He stepped back, wincing in pain.

My eyes widened in shock.

"W-Why?" I asked worriedly.

Sunwoo regained his composure, however, there's still a hint of pain that crossed his eyes.

He suddenly unbuttoned the upper part of his uniform, causing me to scream out of embarrassment.

"Why are you undressing?!" I yelled.

Sunwoo let out a chuckle, then tousled my hair playfully.

He later showed me his chest covered with a bandage.

I gulped hardly as I saw traces of dry blood on it.

"W-Where did you get that?"

"From an encounter. I was attacked by a vicious wolf." He confessed.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

He sighed.

"Do I have to repeat everything?" He asked, savageness was evident in his voice.

I glared at him and it didn't seem he cared.

"There's not much time left, Jihyo. So as much as possible, I wanted to keep you close to me." Sunwoo said seriously.

My brows furrowed in confusion.

"What?"

"Let me stay in your house." He said.

"What?" The only word I was able to utter was shock and confusion.

"Why do you keep repeating yourself?" He asked jadedly.

[ A/N: Are things starting to make sense... because I feel like- nevermind. ]