Chapter 17

Third Person's POV

Jihyo's consciousness came back. She was in pain, and she knew that blood continued to trickle down her body. She slowly opened her eyes. Jihyo grunted in annoyance when she smelled an unpleasant odor. The place she was in reek blood, rotten flesh of animals, and smoke.

It was very dark, but the moon above her was shining brightly, as if mocking her.

"Where am I?" She asked herself.

As if on cue, a rustling sound behind her made her shift. She searched for her bokken, but she remembered that she lost her grip to it when a gray wolf pierced its claws on her arms.

Suddenly, a wolf silhouette appeared in front of her. Thinking it was the Alpha Wolf, she made a defensive stance. However, the silhouette was harmless. She could feel how calm it was.

"Who are you?" She asked, lips trembling.

The wolf walked towards her. It was still a silhouette.

"You don't recognize me?" It said, disappointment lingered on its voice.

Jihyo flinched when she recognized who it was.

"I thought the gray wolf took me?" She asked.

"You saved yourself, that's why you're here."

Her brows furrowed, confusion was evident.

"I don't understand anything. Where am I? Where's Sunwoo?" Jihyo asked consecutively.

The wolf snickered.

"You're far away from them, Jihyo."

Jihyo shook her head in annoyance.

"What do you mean? I shouldn't be far from them! We're in the middle of a war!" She yelled, frustrated.

The wolf stepped forward, so Jihyo stepped backward, shoulders stiff.

"It's safer here." The wolf said calmly.

However, Jihyo doesn't like the idea of "safer."

"Yes, it's safer here. But I can't just wait here until the war is over. I can't let them die! I can't be just a coward and hide here!"

"Jihyo..."

Jihyo's tears started to fall out of frustration and anxieties. She can't bear the fact that she's all safe yet the people she left at the Capitol were dying because of their will to save her. She doesn't want them to die, especially Sunwoo.

"Jihyo," She stopped because it was a bit awkward for her to call the wolf with her name. She was actually talking to herself so she brushed the awkwardness off.

The wolf hummed.

"I don't want to be a coward anymore." Jihyo said calmly, hands clasped, begging.

"You did nothing in the past. But this time, please, just please, let me do something today. I don't want to be the same Jihyo in the Goryeo Dynasty and in 1970! I want to be free from any restrictions! I'm so fed up with people doing everything for me, while I do nothing!" She yelled.

"How long will it take me to do something? Once my loved ones die? When Sunwoo dies? I've been wanting to ask this before, why did I wait for everyone's death before doing anything? Why did I find the courage at last when it's all too late?!"

"Jihyo, break my cage. I want to do something for them as well. I'd rather die fighting than mourn while living." Jihyo bravely spoke up.

The wolf's stance tensed up but after some time, it calmed down, as if hesitating.

Deafening silence filled the place. Minutes passed, they were still silent. Until the wolf broke the silence, seeming certain what to do.

"For a coward like me, it overwhelms me knowing that I was reborn as a brave one."

"I am very sorry, Jihyo, for everything. For caging you inside me. I've been such a burden to everyone and I know it's selfish to think that you're safer here. I'm sorry. I really am."

The wolf silhouette's illuminated, later it showed its real form ㅡ almost exactly looking like her, except that the one was wearing a hanbok and gripping a bokken, while she was covered with wounds and dry blood was splattered on her body.

"You know, I'm not worthy of this immortal life. I wasn't even brave to accept this fate. But thank you, you made me realize things I should've known before. I'm breaking your cage now, Jihyo. Do the things I failed to do in the past. Thank you... and goodbye."

Their tears fell in unison.

In an instant, Jihyo found herself in the middle of the Capitol while holding a bokken, and surrounded by werewolves who continued to exchange attacks. Not so far away from where she was, she saw Sunwoo who was fighting several wolves.

"Sunwoo!" She yelled.

Sunwoo noticed her. After smashing one wolf in front of him, he immediately ran towards Jihyo. She caressed Sunwoo's fur out of longingness. It hasn't been long since she disappeared, but she missed him. However, they still need to win the war.

They lunged toward the vicious werewolves and attacked them. Jihyo and Sunwoo stilled when they heard a loud wolf's plea, its howl was crying for help. Jihyo's mouth agape when she saw Sunwoo's mother writhing in pain, and trying her best to escape from the Alpha Wolf's strong legs.

Sunwoo howled. Jihyo could feel how worried he was.

"Watch her die." The Alpha Wolf said through Jihyo's mind.

"No!" Jihyo screamed when the Alpha Wolf mercilessly stabbed Sunwoo's mother with its sharp claws, later devouring it in front of everyone.

Jihyo heard Sunwoo growl, he was preparing himself to lunge.

"Sunwoo, no!" She begged.

Deafening howl followed, and in an instant, the good werewolves started to lunge toward the Alpha Wolf, attacking whoever came their way.

"Sunwoo... stop..." Jihyo begged again.

She can't stop Sunwoo and his vengeance. However, she can't blame Sunwoo. His mother was slain in front of him. Jihyo was mad as much as he does, but she can't let Sunwoo attack the Alpha Wolf alone. It was never a good idea.

Sunwoo stopped when he came face-to-face with the Alpha Wolf. Jihyo was panting when she reached Sunwoo.

"Sunwoo, please..." Jihyo cried, kneeling.

Sunwoo was persistent. He was livid.

"I'm going to kill you!" Sunwoo hissed, then lunged at the Alpha Wolf.

Jihyo was left shocked. It felt like she couldn't move. The Alpha Wolf pinned Sunwoo down, its canines were both hungry and furious. Its claws were as if made to slay.

"Sunwoo!" Jihyo yelled when the Alpha Wolf jabbed Sunwoo's underbelly, earning a painful howl from the latter.