Chapter 10

Ahn Jihyo's POV

It was an eerie evening, however, I feel safe as I have Sunwoo beside me.

"Sunwoo, I told you before that I still have a lot of questions although I believe you with this entire werewolf thing." I started.

Sunwoo was hiding his hands inside his pockets, he immediately whipped his head to me and flashed a casual look.

"Hmm?" He hummed.

"I... have narrowed the questions down and came up with only one." I said nervously.

Sunwoo stopped walking, making me stop as well. He looked at me seriously yet nervousness crossed his eyes.

"What- no, why am I suddenly involved with all of this?" I asked, although I already have an idea why.

He placed his hands on my shoulder, not breaking eye contact with me.

"Are you ready to know everything?" He asked, examining me.

I gulped hard. Honestly, I don't know.

These days, I have been having nightmares... that I'm all alone under the moonlight, that all the people I love are bathing their own blood, and that I am actually one of them.

Sunwoo sighed then held my chin up.

"Jihyo, are you really rea-" His words were cut off when a portentous howl echoed, sending shivers down my spine.

I immediately hid myself on Sunwoo's back while gripping the hem of his shirt. I was scared!

Sunwoo stilled. He gripped my hand and looked at me, allowing me to see the changes in his eyes. His eyes are yellow, the pupils are thinner. Just like what happened in his tree house.

"S-Sunwoo, what's... happening?" I asked, lips trembling.

The howl echoed again, but this time it sounded near. The howl was deafening, we were having a hard time standing still.

Sunwoo's body was covered with fur. Suddenly his muscles grew, his physique became entirely different. Just then I realized that he was transforming into his wolf form.

He released a loud screech, and in an instant, he transformed into his wolf form. His thick brown fur was enticing, that I almost forgot our current situation.

Sunwoo looked at me and howled. His howl was terrifying and it made me step back.

Calm down, that's Sunwoo. I told myself.

Sunwoo signaled me to hop on his back, as he bent his legs to allow me.

The portentous howl stopped, and that's our cue to run away.

I gripped onto Sunwoo's body, I could feel the vibration within him. Maybe he had sensed danger but was stopping himself to growl so the predator won't be able to catch us.

Sunwoo's pace was faster unlike earlier. He was very determined to take me away from the assailant.

However, Sunwoo stopped and stepped back. I looked across us and saw a wolf with fur as white as snow, covered with a black cloak. Its canines were hungry, eyes were wrathful and looking deep into mine.

"Don't look at her." I heard Sunwoo say it through our minds.

What the fuck...

But it's all too late. Painstaking memories flashed in my mind, earning agony from me. I began begging the wolf to stop, but it was very persistent.

"Hyunjoon, let's go back and help Sunwoo." Jihyo cried.

"Jihyo, we can't do anything for him. He's dead." Hyunjoon replied, his eyes were dark.

Jihyo tried to escape from Hyunjoon's grip but failed.

"Don't think of coming back, unless you want Sunwoo's effort to save you to go in vain." He added.

Suddenly, a large black wolf lunged at them, making them separate. Jihyo's back hit the trunk of the tree. She grunted afterwards.

Hyunjoon, on the other hand, was fighting the black wolf. He couldn't use his bow and arrow given the short distance between him and his assailant.

"Father..." Hyunjoon called.

Jihyo's eyes widened, shocked because of the identity of the black wolf.

"Traitor." Hyunjoon's father hissed before attacking his own son.

The father and son fought until Hyunjoon managed to pin his father down. The black wolf laughed.

"You can't kill me." His father said.

"Who said I can't?" Hyunjoon adjusted the bow and shot simultaneous arrows on his father's chest.

The latter snickered, but was barely breathing.

"You killed us... t-to save Jihyo? Useless..." The last words Hyunjoon's father could utter before passing out.

Suddenly, Hyunjoon collapsed to the ground, blood trickling down and he glanced at Jihyo apologetically then died.

His life and his father's were connected. It was a curse.

Jihyo's clamor filled the night. She had lost two important persons in her life... under the moon and she did nothing to save them.

She hated the moon.

The horrible flashback stopped, followed by a loud sinister laugh. The white wolf was still looking at me, hatred was evident in its eyes.

It was about to assail when an arrow pierced its legs.

I whipped my head back to where the arrow came from and saw Hyunjoon behind the tree, holding his bow, arrows on his back.

"Hyunjoon..." I spoke.