twenty-four

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is staying healthy. What is your favorite TV show to binge? Mine is a toss up between All American (we all know why) and Gray's Anatomy. I hope you enjoy the update. Vote and comment and things. Don't be a silent reader.

I enter the Brandon's kitchen, carrying as many bags as I could to avoid a second trip, Roman following me with his arms just as full. Naomi is sitting at the kitchen table, cookbooks still open in front of her, talking to Miller and her father. Surprisingly, they seem to be getting along well. I would have expected it to take a while for her father to be okay with him. I mean, this whole thing was very abrupt, and I've never known Naomi to jump into anything this fast. But that must mean that she really likes him, right?

"Mimi, you better get in here and help us put this stuff away, or else I'm not going to let Sadie help you make cookies," Roman threatens. He still seems upset the Miller is here. Naomi never said how long he was staying here, I just hope it's not the whole break, for Roman's sake.

She quickly hops up, pulling Miller with her, leaving her father alone at the kitchen table. Mrs. Brandon comes down the stairs and sits quietly next to her husband. I have always admired their relationship. No one could think that they are the perfect couple, but despite their fights, they always come back to each other. They are the perfect example of why you should marry your best friend. I have seen the way they comfort each other and the way they work so well together. They are so in love. I just hope that I have something half as good someday.

"Do you want to go change into pajamas?" Roman whispers in my ear, his voice sending pleasant shivers down my spine. I didn't hear him come up behind me, so I'm a little startled, but I welcome his closeness.

"Only if you do too. I don't want to be the only one in pajamas."

"Deal."

We both start up the stairs, walking side by side. Our sides rub against each other in the small space of the staircase. I don't think I will ever get used to him being affectionate with me. In all the years I've known him, we have only hugged a few times, and we've certainly never held hands or done anything so...coupley. Not that I am complaining, at all, quite the opposite, but do you ever get used to the love of your life actually showing you affection?

When we reach the top of the stairs, we go to our separate rooms. I change into some sweatpants, a bralette, and a t-shirt two sizes too big for me. I somehow finish changing before Roman, so I head down the stairs without him. In the kitchen, Naomi is whispering to Miller, and when she notices me, she jumps away from him. They look awfully guilty, though I don't know why they should be. Is Naomi worried about rubbing her love life in my face? Is that what all the secrecy has been about?

"Everything okay?" I ask innocently.

"Yup. Just perfect," she says, now hanging off him arm. He looks down at her with a tired look. "I think I want to change too," she says then makes her way upstairs, leaving me and Miller alone in the kitchen.

"So, um, what do you think of it here so far?"

"It's pretty cool. I wish my parents were this nice, and it's so much nicer here than where I'm from," he says, turning to put away the last two packages of butter.

"Oh, where are you from?"

"Idaho."

"I've never been there. What is it like?"

"Oh, you know, farms and Mormons."

Well this is going great. I really feel like I am getting to know him.

"I think I'm going to go change too. It's been a long day." With that, he too disappears from the kitchen. I don't understand why Naomi loves him. I would have pictured her type as nice guys, not whatever Miller is.