twenty-eight

Hello everyone! So this is the longest chapter that I have ever written, but I want to try to make this length more standard. I hope you enjoy the update. Please comment and vote. Don't be a silent reader.

The next few seconds seem to pass in slow motion. Theo was up before I even realized what was happening, then Roman is standing in front of me menacingly, completely blocking my view. I wait in nervous anticipation for one of the boys to throw a punch or do something to Miller, but that's not what happens.

A loud crack echoes throughout the living room.

All eyes turn to Naomi, who has tears in her eyes.

"You can leave," she says, her tone icy.

"Oh really? You're kicking me out? You can't do that" Miller's voice is dripping with entitlement.

"No. I think I can."

"You really think that you can't do this without me?"

"Watch me."

Miller lets out a strangled sigh and storms out, slamming the door behind him.

"He did not just slam our door," mutters Theo.

"Naomi..." I start quietly. She refuses to look at me, and I wonder if she heard me or not.

"I think it's time you tell her, Naomi, she deserves to know," Roman speaks up. He has sat back down next to me, his shoulder awkwardly pressing into mine.

"I know." She sounds so defeated. "I might as well rip off the band-aid. Sadie, I'm pregnant."

I heard what she said, but it doesn't make sense. It must be some sort of joke. My best friend can't be pregnant. And if she was, why wouldn't she tell sooner?

"Sadie?" Roman asks from beside me.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I know, I know. I'm so dumb, it's the single most important advice a girl ever gets, don't get pregnant. Not that this is entirely my fault."

"With Miller?" I ask incredulously. "Do you love him or did you just bring him home because of this?"

"I just thought that maybe if he met my family, he wouldn't leave me. Surprisingly, he has been willing to stay with me so far, he's just kind of an asshole."

With this, the three of us laugh. Suddenly, I remember Theo. I look over to see him staring at his sister with his mouth hanging open, far paler than I have ever seen him.

"I'm guessing I'm not allowed to tell mom and dad?" he asks shakily.

"Oh, Theo, um, yes that would be preferable, for now at least. I thought about getting an abortion, but I've always wanted kids, so why not start now? I think that I could still finish school, I just need someone to help me. Hence Miller."

"I still can't believe you even slept with him in the first place." This earns Roman a smack to the back of the head from Naomi.

"Oh, shut up."

"What?" he says dejectedly.

"You're not going to stay with him, are you?" I look up at Naomi with concern. As her best friend, I have always wanted the best for her, and I seriously doubt that Miller is the man to make her happy.

"I—I'm not sure yet." She looks down at her hands, which are shaking slightly. "I don't have anyone else, so."

"Naomi," I say gently, "look around. This is what you have. We can most definitely work something out."