Ch.1 - The Horse Show - Jezebels POV

JEZEBEL'S POV

Adrenaline pumped through my veins as the bell rang loud and clear in my ears. I nudged Cloudy forward and we raced towards the first jump. We soared over the 1 1/2 metre high log with ease. I could tell that, although they are meant to be natural objects, the log was plastic. I cleared the thought from my mind as we galloped up to the brick wall and took off. I heard the crowd gasp as Cloudy's hind leg grazed the the top brick. The world froze. I turned my head for a split-second and was shocked to see it shaking. I held my breath as it rocked from side to side, then to my disbelief returned back to its original position. I sighed with relief because, in order to win, I needed a clear round. My nerves started to ease by the time I made it to the 6th jump, the low hedge. Little effort was needed to clear this beginner type jump. We popped over the 7th and 8th jump gracefully and effortlessly. Then, disaster struck. We were mid-air over the water jump when all of a sudden, the muddy ground raced at me a lot faster than it should. I heard the crowd gasp in shock and then I was surrounded with filthy water. I jumped up to take a breath of air but just as I did, the heavy weight of Cloudy rolled on top of me and I swallowed the foul tasting water instead. There was a snapping sound, and then a searing sharp pain shot up my arm and I had just enough time to scream before the world went black.