Ch 2: Ericcc (Bruce)

It had been like seven months since I had seen Eric, and oh man did I miss him. I mean sure we had texted and called each other and all that jazz but it just wasn't the same. I wanted to see him, and I wanted to see him badly.

So to say I was looking forward to finally being able to meet up with him for the summer was an understatement.

My phone rang and a smile spread across my face as I saw his contact flash on the screen. "Hey, pipsqueak, what's up?" "Bruce! You told me you'd pick me up from the airport! Where the hell are you?!" he cried. I looked at my watch, frowning. "Yeah, I'll pick you up when your flight lands at 2." "Bruce. At 12. My flight lands at 12. As in, my flight landed an hour ago? As in, I've been waiting at this stupid airport for you to answer your phone for an hour! Get your ass down here and pick me up, man!" he cried.

Oh. Oh no. "Uh...sorry? That's my bad man, I'll head over now! Give me like twenty minutes and I'll be there!" "Well it's not like I can go anywhere, right? But come onnnn, I wanna see you! Hurry up and get here!" he said with a laugh. "Alright, alright, I'm leaving now!" I said, grabbing my keys and heading to my car.

After having most likely driven twenty miles over the speed limit the entire trip, I parked in the parking garage and booked it to the luggage claim, where I knew he was waiting. The automatic doors slid apart and I strode into the airport, looking around wildly for him. "Bruce!" I turned as my name was called and was almost immediately tackled by Eric as he threw his arms around me, giving me a tight hug. "Aw Bruce it's so good to see you!" he cried.

Smile splitting my face I hugged him back before pushing him away, holding him at arm's length. "Whoa, hold on, what the hell? Since when are you tall-ish?" A huge smile spread across his face and he shrugged, face turning a happy pink. "Uh, since this year I guess? 5'7" baby, I'm catching up!" I just laughed, grabbing his suitcase and walking to the exit. "Yeah, yeah, I've still got seven inches on you, don't forget that. Now come on, you've been stuck at this airport long enough, let's get out of here."

"Yeah Bruce, I really have been stuck here long enough," he grumbled, but he was still beaming as he walked to my car with me. "Aw, it's so good to see you! Aw Bruce you have no idea it's been so long! Like almost a whole year!" I nodded, putting his suitcase in my trunk and sliding into the driver's seat as he jumped into the passenger one, immediately propping his feet up on the dash.

"Just because you're back doesn't mean you get to dirty up my dashboard," I said, slapping his feet away with a smile. Sticking his tongue out at me, he reluctantly set his feet down. "It's just because I love you that I'm doing this. But how's life been for you?! You get that band going you wanted?"

I pulled a face, heading out of the parking garage. "Oof, I'm working on it. Just haven't really found people I clicked with. But I'm sure I'll get it eventually. How about you? How's life been for you?"

He shrugged, immediately propping his feet back up. "It's been fun! Stressful, but fun. I've been working as a graphic designer which is great. I still talk to some of the guys, still talk to Carrie too." "Aw, you two dating?" Eric just shrugged again, smiling. "Maybe yes, maybe no? We haven't been...been officially dating, but neither of us has dating anyone else. I take it back, we're still dating. I should call her and double check that though. How about you and Shandi?"

I winced. "Oof, we broke up. Wasn't messy but we split. That was ages ago though, did I not tell you that?" "Uh, no, you did not tell me that, Bruce Howard. Thanks for nothing," he grumbled, crossing his arms in a huff. I rolled my eyes, giving him a smile. "Oh, shut up you. I don't remember being told you were tall now." "I don't remember being told you were tall now," he mocked under his breath, before perking up and staring out the window excitedly. "Bruce I'm hungry can we get something to eat?"

"When are you not hungry?" I muttered, but I still pulled into the parking lot of the nearest restaurant, which was the small pizza place he had been looking at. "Ah yes this is perfect, I'm starving." "Why didn't you just eat something in the hour you were waiting for me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Well maybe because I was stuck in the damn baggage claim and there's no food there," he snapped back.

"Alright, alright, point taken, sheesh," I said, placing an order for a large pizza. "No make it extra large. I'm really hungry," he whispered, elbowing me. After changing the order and paying way too much for it, Eric and I took our seats at a table, chatting until the food was brought out.

"You gonna post this one on your Instagram?" he teased, on this third slice before I even finished my first. "Nope. Not exactly health food, after all." Eric rolled his eyes, grabbing another slice. "Gosh man, you post so much it's ridiculous. If I see one more post about your workout routine or your meals or your stupid abs I might have to petition Instagram to put in a dislike button."

"If you don't like what I post, then don't follow me," I retorted. He gave me a warm smile, shaking his head. "But I like you is the thing though. And...and it's nice seeing that you're being healthy and you like the way you look. Makes me happy." My heart melted and I nodded, patting him on the arm. "And it's all thanks to you. Don't worry man, I've been doing just fine with that. Plus I think you're just jealous I have abs and you don't." "Not even," he grumbled.

As we sat eating lunch and just talking about life and everything in general, Eric perked up excitedly, swallowing his last bite of pizza after having eaten about 75% of the entire thing. "Oh! I meant to ask, have you heard from Gene at all? I really haven't heard from him since the summer after we graduated. Like, I follow him on a bunch of platforms and we used to talk a lot, not like every day but still a lot, but then he went dark and I've texted him a few times but I haven't heard anything from him. Has he...like did he die or something?"

I frowned, trying to remember the last time I'd heard from him. "No, no, we would've known if he had. I haven't heard from him either, to be honest. Now I'm kinda curious. Have you asked Paul?" He shook his head, pulling out his phone. "Nah, or if I have it was years ago and I forgot what he said. We can just ask him when we see them all tomorrow!"

"Sounds like a plan. Now come on, I want to go home."

He grabbed his suitcase from my trunk and walked up the two flights of stairs to my apartment, waiting for me to unlock the door. "I haven't been in your house before! Is it nice?" I pulled a face, pushing open the door. "Yes, but also I forgot what day it was so I haven't cleaned up or anything."

"Aww, just like in high school," he said, giving me a smile and kicking a box of cornflakes. "Shut up," I grumbled, picking up the box and stuffing it in the pantry. Eric looked around, smiling. "Yeah, it is a nice place!" he said, pulling open the freezer. "Ooh, you've got ice cream! Can we have some?"

"The fact you're still hungry is stupid," I grumbled, but nonetheless I fixed two bowls, sliding one to him. "You gonna post this on Instagram?" he said, giving me a grin. "Just to spite you, yes."

Eric took a bite of ice cream, closing his eyes. "Mmmm. You think Peter and Ace are dating right now?" I frowned before shaking my head. "Nah. I don't think they are and I don't think they'll get together again for awhile," I said. He raised an eyebrow, and it was hard not to laugh as it vanished into his hair. "Really? I bet you $20 that they're not together right now but they'll get together in the next...mm, two weeks."

"Oh you're on. I'll take some easy money," I said, shaking his hand with a grin. "Done and done. Hope you can afford to lose $20."

Oh man I had missed him.