Ch 17: Gene? (Paul)

I walked up to our room, shoving open the door with a quiet sigh. Eric was curled up on the couch, staring at the wall while Bruce finished packing everything. "You good?" I asked, nudging him gently. "If Gene's not happy to see us I'm gonna cry," he mumbled. "He will be, don't worry. It'll be fine," I said, not even close to believing what I was saying. If he really cared about us, he wouldn't have ignored us all for half a decade.

Eventually, the five of us were packed and set off, driving toward West Hollywood. It didn't take long for us to arrive at the apartment he gave me senior year. "Alright well...let's try it," I mumbled, walking to the door and knocking. There was an awful silence before it was pulled open and a woman who definitely wasn't Aunt Flora or Gene was standing staring at us. "Hi can I...can I help you?" she asked, giving us a confused look.

Face red, I shrugged. "I was looking for Flora Simmons, she used to live here. Do you know where I could find her?" I asked. The woman shook her head. "I don't, sorry. You could ask the landlord, that's my only advice. I hope you find her!" she said, before closing the door.

Well. Shit.

I looked at the rest of them and shrugged. "I dunno guys. We might've just wasted our time," I said sadly, on the verge of tears. Peter's face lit up and he grabbed my arm. "Paul! You said she sends you a birthday card, does she still talk to your mom? Just ask your mom!" I could've kissed him as I pulled out my phone, quickly dialing her number.

"Hey Paul sweetheart, how are you?" "I'm good! Hey Mom do you know where Aunt Flora lives? Like do you have her address?"

"Flora's? Of course, I'll text it to you!"

The instant she had sent me the message we headed back to the car. "Okay this is it," I said, half to myself, and drove off. Within twenty minutes we were all crowded on the doorstep.

I rang the doorbell and we all waited for hopefully Gene to open the door. "Alright now that we're actually here I'm kinda nervous," Eric muttered. I nodded, trying to get my heart to stop racing. "Yeah you're telling me," I mumbled back. The knob turned and I felt my stomach flip as Aunt Flora pulled open the door. She stared at me in shock before a huge smile spread across her face and she put her hands on her hips.

"Well, I never...Paul Stanley! Showing up completely unannounced on my doorstep all the way across the country?!" she said, giving me a mock frown before pulling me into a warm hug, kissing me on the cheek. "It's so good to see you!" I laughed, hugging her back. "It's really good to see you too! How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been doing just fine, but you didn't come all the way out here to see me! You five are looking for Gene, aren't you?" I nodded, hands still shaking. "Yeah, I don't actually know where he lives. I only had the address he gave me right when you guys first moved, and I haven't been able to ask him since I haven't heard from him in five years."

Rolling her eyes, Aunt Flora grabbed her phone. "I know, he was so stubborn about that but he wouldn't tell me why he wasn't talking to any of you. I'm sorry he was so rude to you, I should've tried harder to convince him to reach out to you. Here, let me send you his address, then I don't want to keep you any longer," she said, before turning to the rest of them. "And how have the rest of you boys been?"

Ace grinned, grabbing Peter's hand and showing off the ring. "Hi Mz. Simmons! Me and Peter got engaged!" he said happily. "Oh, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you two! Oh, that's absolutely wonderful. How about you two?" she asked, turning to Bruce and Eric. They both shrugged. "Nothing that exciting," Eric said with a sheepish smile, still really pale and almost slightly green. Aunt Flora laughed, giving me another hug and a kiss. "I sent you his address, I'll let you head out now. It was wonderful to see you again, you'll have to drag Gene over to see me sometime! Tell him I say hi," she said, giving me a smile and a parting wave.

I nodded, heart racing at this point. "Will do! Good to see you too Aunt Flora, I'll be sure to stop by again so we can catch up more!"

The five of us walked back to the car after saying our goodbyes as I plugged the address in to my phone. "Alright so it's a thirty minute drive to get to his house. Do we want to just go now?"

There was silence as they looked at each other. "Paul, you should go first. He's your best friend. Drop us off at the motel and bring Gene over for dinner, we'll meet him then," Eric said quietly. "Wait no I don't want to--" "Curly, you've missed him the most out of any of us. You talk about him in your sleep, you know that?"

My face turned a bright red before I let out a defeated sigh. "Alright fine. I'll take you guys back then I'll head over," I mumbled.

It was nerve-racking driving to his house, even more so now that I was alone. My stomach was doing somersaults as I parked the car on the curb, looking up at his house, an actual house, and trying not to puke. "Alright come on Paul, it's just Gene. Sure you haven't seen him in five years but it's okay, it's just Gene. The same old Gene, probably. Maybe not, maybe he's a completely different person and he hates you. But the only way you're going to find out is if you ring the stupid doorbell," I whispered, walking up the front steps.

Heart hammering against my ribs, I rang the bell and waited.