Ch 66: Date Night (Paul)

The doorbell rang and I pulled it open with a huge smile, heart already fluttering. Eric was standing on the doorstep, giving me a shy smile and clutching a pineapple. "Hey you dumb jock," he said with a laugh. My smile only got bigger and I hesitated for a moment before kissing him, pulling him inside. "My dumb blond...boyfriend. You brought a pineapple?"

"It's the only pizza topping I love! You said to bring a topping and I did!" he said defensively. I just laughed, giving his hand a squeeze. "No don't even worry about it! It's fine, just cut it up in the kitchen! Now come on, let me teach you how to make pizza," I said, taking his hand and pulling him into the kitchen.

After we had gotten everything set up and all the toppings ready, I handed him a ball of dough. "Okay, so put flour on the dough and the counter and roll it out!" I said, giving him another, longer kiss and moving to get the sauce ready.

"Hey Paul." "Uh-huh?" "It's not working."

I turned to find him standing with flour all over himself and a mangled mess of dough in front of him. "Oh my gosh Eric how? Did you flour the dough and the counter or just yourself?" I teased.

"Wait hold on I was supposed to put flour on the counter and the pizza dough?" he cried. I laughed, shaking my head and lifting his hands off the dough. "Yes, you idiot, otherwise it'll stick!" I said, trying to salvage the mess he had made. "Sorry! You weren't clear enough with your instructions!" he protested, trying to wipe flour off his face but only succeeding in getting more across his cheeks.

"My dumb blond boyfriend," I said with a grin, and he smiled back, leaning against my chest. "Oh, shut up. You love me and you know it." Shaking my head, I gave him a quick hug. "Damn right I do. Even if you are totally clueless when it comes to making pizza."

"Paul when the hell am I supposed to have practiced this?!" "You didn't have to practice, I taught you how!" I teased, pulling his headband over his eyes. He laughed, struggling to push it back onto his forehead without getting more flour everywhere. "Maybe you're just a terrible teacher, you ever think of that?" "Shut up you know I love you," I snapped back. Twisting around, he slipped his arms around my waist, giving me a hug. "And obviously I love you too," he murmured.

Smiling, I kissed him on the forehead before he stood on his toes, stretching up and kissing me. We stood making out before he pulled away, blue eyes dancing. "Paul I can honestly say I have never been happier to run into an old acquaintance at the bar." Grinning, I grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze before finally finishing up the pizzas. "And I couldn't agree more."

He sat on the counter as we waited for the pizzas to finish cooking, giving me a smile. "So you still planning on going XFL?" he asked. I heaved a sigh, shrugging. "Honestly man, I don't think so. I'm not like...really feeling it anymore, to be honest. I don't think that's something I want out of my life. Like yeah, I loved football, and I was pretty good at it--"

"You were really good at it but okay, continue," he teased, and I smiled, face going red. "Anyway, I just don't think I want to keep doing that, you know? Like sure it's fun but it's not...that fun. So I cancelled my contract and I think I'm just going to find another job." He nodded, giving me a smile. "Well Tommy always says I'm terrible at giving advice due to my inherent dumb blondness, but honestly my advice is just do what makes you happy! And if football won't, then don't play football! There's tons of other things for you to do!"

I slipped an arm around his waist, giving him a squeeze and pulling him off the counter as the timer on the oven beeped. "Well Tommy doesn't know what he's talking about because you give good advice," I said with a smile. "Only sometimes! Most of the time though I earn my dumbass title. Is it time to eat though?"

Smiling, I reached for the oven mitts. "You bet it is."

After a really good dinner I rose to my feet, taking Eric's plate and setting it in the dishwasher. "So what now?" I asked. "Um...you wanna watch a movie?" he asked shyly. "Sure!" We decided on an action movie and I hit play, stretching with a yawn.

I patted the couch next to me and Eric gave me a smile, snugging up against my side. "This is nice," he murmured. I nodded, running a hand through his hair absentmindedly before leaning over to give him a quick kiss. "It is nice. A nice evening, just the two of us." He nestled closer against me, folding his legs under him, and closed his eyes with a happy sigh. "Wouldn't want it any other way."

I kept playing with his hair, holding him against my side. "Hey Eric." "Hm?" "Why do you wear headbands?" He grinned, shrugging. "I dunno. I just like them. Plus it keeps my hair out of my eyes, which is a plus. I mean it is super long so it does get in the way sometimes." I giggled, shaking my head. "I like them. They look good on you." "Well duh, everything does," he teased.

Grinning, I pulled his headband over his eyes. "Oh, shut up." "Paulll! If you do that then I can't see your beautiful face!" he cried. I laughed, slipping an arm around his waist and giving him a squeeze as he tried to push his headband back into position. "Gosh, you're lucky I love you so much. Otherwise I don't know if I'd put up with this shit," he grumbled, resting his head on my chest and giving me a smile.

I gave him a warm smile, holding him closer. "Oh, says you," I murmured. He laughed, eyes shining. "Damn Paul, I can feel your heart racing. You excited about something?" he teased. Face burning, I shrugged, tucking his hair behind his ear. "Just happy to be with you." His smile grew playful and he gave me a kiss. "Mm, me too," he said, before wrapping his arms around me. "I missed being able to sit with someone like this, just literally having someone next to me. It's nice and comfy and warm. You're nice and comfy and warm."

I smiled, holding him tighter. "I know. I missed it too. I like sitting on the couch with you," I said softly, kissing him on the forehead. He giggled, beautiful blue eyes shining, and smiling up at me. "I'd sure damn hope so since we're dating."

I had also really missed hearing someone say that.