Eight

Cara limped over to her sisters, unaware that Diego walked up the stairs to check on their mother. "Vanya" she said, bringing her hand to her shoulder. "Come on. Let's get you cleaned up." Cara then proceeded to limp away but Allison stopped her. "I'll get it. Both of you stay here" she said before walking away.

Minutes later, Allison comes back with a blue and red towel. She walks over to her two sisters who were sat beside each other on the sofa. They both take the towels and press them to their heads.

"Who were those people?" Vanya asked. "I don't know. We're lucky to be alive." Allison said before sitting on the coffee table across from the two. "You sure you're okay?" Cara asked Vanya who was leaning down as she wiped the blood away from her forehead. Vanya nods in response before looking back down.

The sound of heavy footsteps catch their attention. They all turn to look at Diego who was walking back and forth, his head hanging low. "Diego?" Cara called out, worried for her best friend. The boy immediately turn to the three, " what are you still doing here?" He asked, referring to Vanya.

"I'm just trying to help" Vanya said, her eyes getting watery. "No, you could've been killed!" Diego exclaimed, cutting her off. "Diego, stop" Cara calmly told him, not even turning her head to face his direction.

"No. She could've gotten us killed." Diego said, turning to Cara. "She is a liability" Diego said before turning around and sitting on the sofa across them.

Cara immediately faced Vanya, "you're not a liability, Vanya. You're important, just as important as every single one of us here." She said causing the smaller girl to nod before turning to Allison. "I think what he's trying to say is that this kind of stuff is dangerous." Allison explained. "You're just-"
Allison was cut off by Vanya, "i'm not like you"

Silence enveloped the room before Vanya stood up from the sofa. "That's not- Vanya, wait" Allison exclaimed standing up to follow her sister. Cara stood up as well and quickly limped out "Vanya, please-" she called out before Diego cut her off. "Let her go" He said as Vanya walked out the front door. "It's for the best."

"She's your sister, you know that right?" Cara asked before turning to look at Diego's sitting figure. " why can't you just treat her normally? Is that so hard to do?" Cara asked once again, but Diego only keeps his head hung low. "You're pathetic" she muttered out before walking away.

"You don't think I know that?" Diego spoke up catching the girl's attention causing her to stop dead in her tracks. "That's why i'm doing what i'm doing. All this time, I just wanted to protect my family, Cara. If you were smarter, you'd understand." Diego replied.

"No." Cara answered. "You only care about your ego, Diego. Deep down, you know it." She muttered out before climbing up small stairs leading to the bedrooms.

*****

18 years ago...

"Again!" The voice of Reginal Hargreeves booms inside the training room, catching the attention of the children. He was watching Number One and Number 8 fight one another as their training. It has been 12 years since he has gotten the children and 4 years since he has been training them.

Number Two was standing across a target board and has been throwing knives at it for the past hour. Number Three was practicing her combat skills with Number Five on a mat beside Number One and Eight.

Number Six had been doing his own practicing in a separate room seeing as his powers were too dangerous for the rest of the siblings to be in the same room as. On the other hand, Number Four was once again locked up in a mausoleum by his Father. Reginald insists that for him to fully control his powers, he must conquer his fear of the dead first.