Ten

Cara stared out the window at the various objects they drove past by. She tightly clutched her fist before glancing at Diego who was tensely driving beside her. In fact, his grip on the steering wheel was so tight to the point that his knuckles have turned white. Her eyes then flickered to his face which held a tense gaze but deep inside, she knew that he was terrified. She, too, was terrified for Patch, however, she couldn't imagine the fear that Diego felt for the detective.

"Diego..." Cara spoke up, breaking the silence that filled the car. Diego ignored the girl and kept his eyes glued to the road, a frown remaining on his face. "Patch is one tough woman. In the short amount of time I've known her -which to be honest, isn't that long- I can tell that she isn't one to give up easily. She's strong. Cara said.

She turned back out the window. Her yawn cut the silence that filled the vehicle. After everything that had happened in the past few days, she couldn't help but feel exhausted. Her thoughts immediately drift back to when she first stepped into the academy after 13 years up until when she found Grace who was cut up by the intruders.

"We're here" Diego spoke up before removing his seatbelt. She followed his actions before getting out of the car and immediately jogging behind Diego. "Should we go check the desk-" Diego immediately cut her off "No. we don't have time." Cara could sense the fear in his voice.

"Where are you, Patch?" Diego muttered as he looked around the area. Cara did the same and immediately spots an open door on the second floor of the motel. "There." She pointed at the door. Diego immediately runs past her up the stairs, Cara following just behind.

Diego holds up his knife indicating that they had to be quiet. "Klaus?" Diego called out before finally turning the corner and facing the open room. "What is it?" Cara asks not far behind him as she notices that he had stopped dead in his tracks. She finally walks closer and sees what he was looking at. There laid an unconscious Detective Patch in a pool of blood.

Diego immediately runs up to her body "no, no, no, Eudora!" Diego said before throwing away his knife and taking off his gloves. Cara stood by the door in shock before bringing her hands to her mouth. Tears pooled in her eyes at the sight of the woman. She could feel her knees shake as her eyes flickered to the bullet wound on her chest. "It's all my fault.." Cara whispered to herself.

Diego hovered over Eudora's body, his face contorting into a mix of sadness and pain. He clenches his fists before slamming them down on the floor beside her body. Tears fall down his face as he leans down and lifts her head up by the base of her neck.

"I was on my way.." Diego whispered in pain. "Why didn't you wait." Police sirens fill Cara's ears causing her to turn her head to the direction of the sound. "Diego, we have to go.." She painly said, not once glancing at her best friend.

The police was getting nearer, their red and blue lights illuminated the night sky. "Diego, I'm sorry but we really have to go" Cara muttered as she crouched down beside him. He glanced behind before turning back to Eudora, caressing her cheek. "I gotta go, okay? I can't be here when they come, okay?" Diego said, sobs leaving his mouth.

He pulls away from her body, his eyes staying on her. "I'm sorry" Cara muttered from beside him before squeezing his shoulder in comfort. He briefly nods before standing up and picking up his gloves from the floor. Cara does the same but before they can walk out, she spots a piece of paper on the table. She grabs it and stuffs it in her pocket. The two briefly glance at Eudora once again before swiftly running back to the car.

*****

The ride back was completely silent. Not awkward. But also not comforting. The two chose not to talk about what had happened, afraid to even think back at the memory. Diego kept his eyes locked on the road while Cara kept hers outside.