Sixteen: Not today

"Of course it's you." Mina said looking at Gian inside her little cottage where Gian followed her. She was calm, like expecting her to come. "The present Mina Araneta is hot." She chuckled

Gian looked at her. Not saying anything. Still surprised by unexpectedly meeting her in person.

"You're here to ask me why did I disappeared, right?" Mina guessed. She sighed, "My father threatened to kill someone I love if I don't marry Carter." It came out, simple, almost bland. No emotion on her face like she's over and done with it.

"But you still didn't marry Carter..."

Mina shook her head, "My husband... he has connections. He was able to help me."

"You're married?" Gian was surprised

Mina smiled, "Yes. That's why I can't marry Carter. Also, I can't marry someone I don't love."

"Does your father know?"

Mina nodded, "He knew." She answered "And he wanted me to file a divorce, but I couldn't do it. He made sure to hide my marriage, but I still couldn't do it." She rubbed her belly, "I'm pregnant."

Gian grew quite for a moment. "Is he the one trying to kill Carter?"

"I certainly hope not," Mina said "but I know that if Carter dies, everything Carter owns will automatically placed under me—I mean, you're the one who married him— but technically my name. My father made sure of that, hence, you being a stand in bride urgently. He can't afford to loose that much." She answered "If you're asking me if I think my father could do that," she looked straight at Gian and nodded "Regarding his interest, nothing comes above his business and reputation."

"Carter's in danger." Gian muttered

"You have to protect him." Mina said "Be careful, my father is more dangerous than you give him credit for."

***

"What do you want?" With clenched fist, she glared at Gregor who's taken Carter as a hostage. The party still going on beneath them.

"How could you be so stupid?" Gregor laughed, "You think, I made you marry this man so you could just file for divorce?"

Gian calmed herself down and started thinking, fast. Unclenching her hands, she tried to look as passive as possible. "You think you will get everything from Carter if he dies?" She asked, scoffing. "What made you think that I'm gonna give it to you?"

"You would. Because you don't know how great I could damage the people around you." If looks could kill, she'd probably dead by now from Gregor's look. "Do you think I don't know about your little hide and seek with the FBI, agent Darling?" He smirked "I know about you. I know about your brother. I know everything. So don't act like you have a right to any of this. Especially to things that belongs to me. So if I tell you to give me what I want, you will give it to me."

She clenched her teeth, then laughed. "Are you threatening me, Mr. Ayala?" She asked leaning back on the railing, "Because I'm telling you now, I don't respond well to threats."

"Do you think I give a shit about you?!" He spat "Of course I am threatening you. Don't be a bitch like my stupid daughter and follow exactly what I tell you."

"Shhh" she hushed him "The people might hear you, you should be careful, Mr. Ayala. You don't want to be the headline of tomorrow's newspaper, don't you? Especially if that involves you being a prime suspect in a murder crime."

They were talking like Carter wasn't there. But he is, with a gun on his head.

Gian looked at Carter, her stare, solid. Like telling him to toughen up because she's about to do something.

Of course, she did. Pulling a nine millimeter from her leg, Gregor whose surprised quickly turned into anger, thrusting the gun deeper into Carter's head. But before he could pull the trigger, she beat him to it. She shot Gregor in the shoulder making him stumbled back. Carter was stunned, he even jumped an inch. immediately letting Carter go. Carter grab Gregor's gun and point it at him. Footsteps coming towards them and Gian's sure it's not the men from their side. Gregor was now laying on the ground. She advances towards him, with gun on her hand. Gregor laughed. She didn't hesitate to shoot him again. This time, on the leg.

"Here's the thing, Mr. Ayala." she started, aiming. "I don't care about you nor your business. In fact, I don't care if you kill someone or everyone tonight. What I don't like is you, interrupting our conversation." She continued pointing her gun at him.

"I need backup." She said, Ian on the phone, then throw it.

"You think you can go somewhere?" Gregor said pressing his shoulder, smirking. "People that are looking for you are already here."

Carter kicked the man on the gut taking the gun on the floor. He coughed blood on the floor.

"We have to get out of here." Gian said to Carter

Carter nodded, following her. When Carter turned back on Gregor, he was aiming a pistol at Gian. The next thing was not pretty. Another gunshot. A bullet on Carter's back, as he fell on Gian.

"Carter!" Gian exclaimed, catching Carter as her gaze fell on Gregor holding a pistol, smirking. Her hands automatically pointed her gun towards him out of rage. Bullet straight to his head. He instantly fell.

"Carter!" Gian tried calling him, "Focus on me. Don't close your eyes." She said pleading, kneeling on the floor. She shook him. The crown beneath them was not there anymore. "Carter!"

Carter opened his eyes weakly, his hand reaching for Gian. "You have to go." He muttered holding her.

Gian shook her head, Carter's blood started pooling beneath him. Carter squeezed her hand with assurance. "I'll be fine." He tried to smile "Humans bleed."

"You idiot." She whispered almost breathless. Her attention was back to the incoming footsteps nearby. She look back at Carter then the door, doesn't know what to do.

"Go." He looked down at Carter, "Now." He put something on her hand. A key. Car key.

Gian stood up, "Don't die."

"I'll try."

With that, Gian jumped off the balcony. Landing into the pool, she immediately looked for Carter's car after. Driving like hell out of there, someone's chasing her. Either some bounty hunter, Kevin Mendez or the FBI, she doesn't care. They wouldn't get her alive.

She stepped harder on the gas, no regards for traffic lights or cars on her way. Siren started blaring, and shots being fired. She clenched her teeth. "Don't take it personal, I'm just trying to survive here." She said talking to the car as she speed up some more approaching a bridge. She smirked, what do you say to the king of death?

Not today, her mind answered as she turned the wheels right, crashing into the bridge barricade and flipping into the air before dropping into the water.

She might have them, but not today.

***