Ch. 29

Mmm watcha sayyyyyy,
Two updates in one dayyyy

Sorry, that's probably getting old

(We're doing it)
(We are not)
(Yes we are)
(Ugh fine)

That was my thought process.

Anyway

The two teenagers weren't in a hurry to end their day out, and meandered over the Manhattan bridge, watching the water, and listening to the music of the city.

Cars blurred past, horns honked, the myriad smells of all the restaurants floated through the air, and the stars fluttered in the water, so when they looked down, it was as if they were looking down into the galaxy.

Peter broke the silence. "May said we can both stay there tonight."

Harley nodded silently, shoving his hands in his pockets.

The silence wasn't uncomfortable.

"What's your family like?"

No answer, and for a moment he thought the other boy couldn't hear him.

He had no idea how much time had passed before Harley broke the silence. "My dad's dead. If he's not, he's certainly dead to me."

Blunt. 

Not looking for sympathy, and certainly no pity, but matter of fact.

"Oh." Peter stared at the water. "I feel like I should offer condolences."

Harley let out a soft laugh. "No need. I was like six. I can't remember him. Left one day. Just gone."

Not knowing what to say, Peter stepped to the railing beside him, pressing their shoulders together. 

The other boy leaned into the contact, letting out a soft exhale. "My sister's deaf. Mom takes double shifts at the hospital, but it's not enough. Whatever money I have gets sent home, helps with Abby's schooling. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I didn't have to be the man of the house. If I would get to be a kid. And then I hate myself for thinking that."

"Nothing wrong with that," Peter kept his eyes on the dark sky. "I know what you mean, about responsibility, and all that. Sometimes think about it too."

"What's it like?"

Peter blinked at the question, glancing sideways. "What's what like?"

"Being a superhero. Saving people like that. Knowing that you have these awesome powers, and instead of doing something bad with them, you chose to save people. Why?"

"Because… people need someone to stand up for them. Not everyone can do it for themselves, so I do what I can. Gotta look out for the little guy, y'know?"

Harley nodded, a wry smile pulling up the side of his mouth. "That your motto?"

"No." Peter huffed a laugh, although tension bled through. "No. I have a saying, my uncle taught it to me. 'With great power comes great responsibility.' I try to live by that, and that's my motto, I guess."

"It's no surprise, really," Harley stated. "That you do this. I mean, I read the report. You were there the night he died. You don't want anyone to go through that, I'm guessing, like you did. So you protect them. I admire that."

They dropped back into silence, and this time they didn't speak again.

Harley followed him back to May's apartment, where she let them in with a smile.

Peter texted Pepper, asking for updates, and her reply was vague.

Pepper: I'm sorry, Peter. I can't get him to talk. He's upset about how he talked to you earlier, though.

Me: yeah, I guessed that would happen

Me: tell him its fine 

Me: im not mad but we're staying at mays to give him some space 

Me: can you tell him that 

Pepper: Of course. This will blow over. Until then, Happy will pick you boys up on Monday, same as usual,  and bring you back to May. I'll pack clothes for you both, and send them early. Be safe on patrol if you go out

Me: not planning on it tonight

That night the air mattress was used for the first time since they bought it, and the two teenagers stayed awake long after the lights were off, talking quietly.

Enjoy?

Thoughts/comments?

Leave a comment/vote, it makes my day!

Love you guys