No. 27

So this is a chapter that I wrote randomly and never actually published lmaooo so I thought I'd just post it for that #content you know so this is NOT CHAPTER 27
Unfortunately I will not be continuing to write this story. I started writing this when I was 13 years old and I will legit be a legal adult in a few months lol
This is all the writing I have left over from this story and one more chapter, and I also (for some reason) wrote the last chapter years ago so I'm going to publish that too to finish the story.
As a disclaimer this does not fit into the story at all and there are some gaps and plot holes so I'm sorry it's not perfect lol I found it in my drafts
Thanks for reading this over the years,
Padfootspetunicorn <3

"Hey Lils." James creaked the door open to Lily's room, she was sitting on her bed, reading. And to his surprise, all he got was a grumble back. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine." She said sternly.

"You don't seem fine, Lily. Do you want to tell me-" he was cut off.

"For Merlin's sake! Why don't you leave me alone for just one god damn second!" Lily had never snapped at him since they had been together. This took James completely by surprise, though he didn't question it, and left the room without another word.

That night, she went up to her own room, and not straight into James'. He wondered why she could have snapped at him, did he do something wrong? He laid down, covering himself with his duvet, looking at the empty space beside him.

Lily felt strange being in her bed, it was cold, and she was alone. She awoke with a start, sweating and shaking, tears forming in her eyes; another nightmare.

<>

In the morning, James did not see Lily go down for breakfast, but her door was open. As he entered the great hall, he scanned the Gryffindor table for the flash of red hair, but unsuccessfully did not see her.

He hardly said anything at breakfast, thinking about what she could be doing, he desperately wanted to go and find her, but he didn't know if that would be the right thing to do.

But he did anyway.

He found her at the back if the library, intensely reading a book. He approached her slowly, making sure not to disturb her.

"Lily?" He whispered, walking up to her. "Hey."

"Yeah." She said firmly, before slamming her book shut and storming off. What an earth had he done wrong?

James walked around alone, digging his hands in his pockets, biting his bottom lip. He didn't know why she was acting like this, avoiding people at all costs, always reading.

He decided to walk back up to the common room, and just sit by the fire and think. But Lily was there. He still went and sat down, but did not say a word, and yet, she still slammed her book shut and rushed off to her room.

James put his head in his hands, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall.

<>

Lily was never one to avoid people. Sure, she liked to read, but she never did it all the time. Would people suspect something was up? She hoped not. Because in her mind, everything was normal, and she mustn't cry.

*Flashback*
A scrawny barn owl flew through her window, handing her a letter, before swooping off. She thought this was curious, as the owls never came through students windows. She opened the envelope, unfolding the letter. It read:

Dear Miss. L. J. Evans,

I bring sorrow to inform you that there had been a death eater attack last night and 6 muggles did not make it, and you're parents were involved, and I am afraid to say that they have lost their lives.

Your older sister was not home at the time, and is currently staying at her boyfriends house.

I am terribly sorry for your loss,
The Minister of Magic

The words hit Lily like 1000 knives, just stabbing her in the chest over and over and over again. But she mustn't cry. And she shouldn't talk about it, because that will make her want to cry, and if she didn't want to cry, she must avoid everyone.
*End of flashback*

God, did she miss his company. She missed having company altogether, but she didn't want to think about it. She didn't even want to remember it.

<>

A week later, Lily was still avoiding everyone, she had barely even said a word to even a teacher. And everyone was aware of it now.

Sirius, Remus, Peter, Marlene and James were all extremely worried and curious, but it effected James the most. Everyone would see him alone, as he used to spend all of his time with Lily.

He made his way up to the astronomy tower today, just wanting to be alone, as usual. He saw someone there, looking out, leaning on the barrier, recognising them immediately.

Taking a deep breath, he blurted out, "You need to tell me what's wrong."

"I can't." The person said back, recognising the voice of the person behind them.

"Lily, you can't hide away forever." James said, only taking one step closer towards her.

"Why can't I?" She asked, her voice breaking.

"Because your friends need you. It's strange without you. I need you." He said, swallowing back any tears. He took another step closer.

"I can't talk to anyone. Nobody will understand." She said, as he took another step closer to her, leaning on the railings himself, looking out onto the black lake.

"I might not understand, but I'll listen." He said, turning to look at her, as she did the same. It's the first eye contact they had made in days, as James put his hand over hers, as she retracted. "You don't need to be scared. It's only me." He whispered.

She took a deep breath, before saying, "My parents are dead." The first time she said it. The first time she admitted it. The first time she accepted it. And boy, did it hurt her. She started to shake, and her legs gave way, her whole body collapsing towards the floor.

James reacted quickly, catching her before she hit the ground, and steadying her on her feet, before pulling her into a hug. He could feel her sobbing against his chest, as he whispered soothing and comforting words in her ear. "Just let it out. It's okay. I'm here."

She didn't know why she didn't do this before.