chapter thirteen- ghost of you

listen to ghost of you by 5sos while reading if you wanna sob 🙃

Addison's POV

The image of Niall taking that last breath was burned into my brain. It wouldn't leave.

I sobbed into his chest.

"Breathe, Niall!"  I screamed.

A woman pried me off of Niall.

"Settle down, ma'am," she attempted.

I would have listened, but Im awful in these types of situations.

"Settle down?" I exhaled in fury. "My husband just died, and my daughter is unconscious! Who knows if she'll ever regain the strength to breathe again! I'll be alone! I'll have no one! I'll..." I trailed off before collapsing into the woman's arms.

The woman rubbed my back soothingly as I cried into her shoulder.

"We'll get them back," she coaxed.

I stared at the olive green chair next to me. There were two chairs against a yellow wall that faced the white hospital bed. The white hospital bed where unconscious Niall laid, breathing unevenly. Next to him was the heart monitor that continuously told me that his beating was irregular.

I turned my gaze towards the window on the other side of the room. I stared at that window to distract me from my practically dead family.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when a nurse came into the room.

"How is he?" the lady asked as she walked towards Niall.

I shrugged. The lady looked back at me with hopeful eyes and a crooked frown.

"You should probably get home soon," the lady mentioned. "It's almost ten."

"I should be fine," I yawned.

The woman shook her head. "You're tired. The couch isn't cozy enough. Head home, we got them in good hands."

She smiled back at me with sad eyes.

"I guess," I sighed as I stood up. "Thank you."

"Of course," the woman replied. "It's my job."

I gathered my things and kissed Niall's forehead.

When I got home, the house seemed empty. No Ivy running up to me.

"Mommy!" the curly headed girl ran up to me with wide open arms.

I scooped her up as she squeezed me into a tight hug.

"I missed you so much!" Ivy squealed.

No scent of burning food from Niall attempting to cook.

"What is that burning stench?" I grimaced as I put Ivy down.

"Oh, nothin' love!" Niall hollered from the kitchen as the smoke alarm went off.

The house was lonely. It wasn't as homely as it had always been. I flicked on the lights to the kitchen and leaned against the counter.

"It's so quiet," I muttered to myself.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and opened my Spotify. I shuffled a playlist in hopes it would make me feel better. The familiar strumming of the guitar started.

Here I am waking up, still can't sleep on your side

Ghost Of You by 5 Seconds Of Summer. My mind went back to when Niall and I had first met and he begged me to listen to 5SOS.