Wakeful Dreams - Chapter 4

I was visiting a shrine that was built over vast acres of land. I duly paid my respects at all the places of worship, but soon I discovered a corridor leading to someplace else. A matronly lady was kind enough to show me what lay beyond those doors. I saw a dormitory for all those people seeking a place to stay. It had a row of neatly made beds. Then we walked past another door, and I noticed we had entered some resort. There were so many swimming pools, all clean and inviting. The people out there seemed to be having a great time. I sat down for some lunch and met some people I knew. As I walked along, I saw a boutique.

Inside they were selling everything from swimwear to scented candles, lotion and jewelry. I tried on some earrings when the diamond string I was wearing broke, and the stones lay scattered all over the floor. I knelt and tried to gather them with the help of the salesman. I informed them that I had purchased that piece of jewelry from them. They sheepishly apologized and agreed to redo it. I sat in a room at the back of the store and began examining the stone's quality when I realized it was all imitation jewelry. When I turned to question the artisans, no one was there. I retraced my steps and discovered that such a place never existed. I was back in the shrine, where it all began. It felt like a dream within a dream.