Married Life

When I was a little girl and I fantasized about my life as a married woman, I never imagined I would end up living at my in-laws' house, completely shut in because of a war. Nevertheless, I couldn't complain. It was almost February and even though there was not much to do at The Burrow, I still enjoyed every second. Fred and George were still developing products and sending their orders per owl, which kept them really occupied. I, however, spent my days learning new things from Molly. She taught me how to sew, embroider and knit. I managed to knit my first Weasley jumper, which I decided would be my present for my future niece or nephew. It was really small and red, with a grey T (for Tonks) on the front. With her, I also learnt how to cook the most amazing lasagna. She even revealed to me the recipe for her delicious chocolate muffins, which she had never told another living soul.
Arthur decided to use this opportunity to learn more about Muggles by asking me or reading all the books I had gifted him throughout the years. One afternoon, I dug up my old CD Walkman and some CDs from my trunk and showed him my favourite music.
„And this is?" Arthur asked as he put on the headphones.
„A band called Queen," I answered.
„They're really amazing," he replied. I left him to enjoy the music of Queen and went to the kitchen.
„Molly, have you seen Fred?", asked.
„He and George are up in their room, something about the shop, I don't know," Molly answered as she started chopping carrots.
„Okay, thanks. I'll be right down to help you with lunch, I just need to ask Fred something." I went upstairs and knocked on the twins' door.
„It's me!"
„Come in," said two voices coming from the inside. I opened the door and entered the room.
„Hi, guys, how's business?" I asked and sat on Fred's lap.
„I mean, it's going as good as it can go during a war," George answered.
„Still, even better than we expected. I guess people —" Fred said.
„Do need some —"
„Entertainment during —"
„These horrible times."
„Do you practice this?" I asked and chuckled.
„Nah it comes —" Fred began.
„Naturally to —" George continued.
„Us, because we're —"
„TWINS," both said at the same time.
„You're creepy," I said. „Freddie, can we talk for a second?"
„Sure, let's go to our room," Fred answered and took my hand.
„What's up?" he asked, closing the door to our room behind him.
„Well... Do you know what day it is today?" I asked flirtingly.
„I don't know anymore... Friday?"
„First of all, it's Saturday. And second of all, today's the 24th," I replied.
„Blimey! Happy one-month anniversary, Mrs. Tonks-Weasley." Fred hugged me and kissed me on the lips.
„Happy one-month anniversary, Mr. Weasley," I said and kissed him again. „I was thinking maybe you and I could spend some time alone, even if it's just in our room, instead of you working late with George."
„Of course, we can," he replied.
„Thanks, love. I have to go back and help your mum with lunch. You go and finish as many orders as you can before 5."
„Yes! Anything for you, my beautiful wife."
That night after dinner, we made love like never before. We were in perfect sync, not only our bodies were connected, but our souls as well. Fred could read my body like he would his favorite book, effortlessly. Sometimes I even thought he knew me better than I knew myself. Fred understood me on a different level and it was breath-taking, literally.

The next weeks were just like that one night and got better and better every time. Only at those times of the month or on days when both of us were too tired, we would stay up talking instead. We talked about our childhood, about our dreams, about Hogwarts, about the best pranks the twins had pulled, about where we would like to live after the war, about how many kids we would like to have and what their names would be.
„I was thinking ‚River', if it's a boy... And ‚Julia' or ‚Addison', if it's a girl," I suggested.
„River, Julia and Addison Weasley? I like them. And if we have more we could name them Kai or May."
„How many do you want to have?" I said in surprise.
„Three or four?", he chuckled.
„Three and no more. I don't fancy being pregnant, it looks rather uncomfortable."
„What about second names?", Fred asked as he played with my fingers.
„I didn't really think about that since I don't have one", I answered.
„Well... Let's say we have three. One boy and two girls... How about River, Julia May and Addison Weasley?" Fred proposed.
„Those are perfect. I love them! And if we have two boys and one girl they'll be River, Julia May and Kai Weasley."
„What about Kai Sirius? I think the names of our dads are going to sound a bit too boring next to Kai."
„You're right, and Sirius would have loved that... I miss him a lot."
„I know you do, babe," Fred said as he hugged me.
„I just hope he's watching over us, protecting us," I said.
„I'm sure he is." After staying in silence for a few minutes, Fred spoke „You know what would be really cool?"
„What?"
„Having twin boys!" he said cheerfully.
„NO!"

And so, the first four months of our marriage had gone by pretty smoothly. The only argument we ever had was on the last Friday of March. Like many other times, I had been called by the Order to work on a crime scene. Every time Death Eaters took either Muggle or wizarding lives, we were sent to investigate, make sure no one else was in danger and, sometimes, retrieve the bodies. That Friday night, the cold-blooded murder of a Muggle family took place in a small town just outside of London. I arrived at their house with two other Aurors, when we heard a noise coming from the neighbors' house. There were, in fact, Death Eaters there about torturing another Muggle family, but we Apparated just in time to fight them off and save those five innocent lives. It was not an easy task, or nice for that matter, but someone had to do it. I got back to The Burrow with a nasty injury on my left arm and even though Molly was able to fix it up, Fred got furious. He was fuming as if he had just taken some Pepper-Up-Potion.
„Don't you understand how dangerous all of this is?" Fred shouted. „You could have been murdered!"
„Fred, I get you're worried, but — "
„I forbid you from going to these missions!" I couldn't believe my ears.
„You forbid me? I'm sorry, Dad, but last time I checked, I was an adult, you patronising asshole!" I cried. „This is my job, Fred, whether you like it or not! I will go wherever they need me to go and do whatever they need me to do because I am an Auror! I didn't work my arse off with Moody and during Auror training for you to tell me that you forbid me from doing MY JOB!"
„I'm trying to protect you, Arcadia!" he protested.
„I don't need your protection, Fred! In case you've forgotten I've been a member of the Order since the day I turned 17! And it is not only my duty as a member but as a fucking Auror, to fight against the Dark Arts! I'm literally a dark wizard catcher! That's my job description!" I shouted angrily.
„But — "
„I'm a strong, independent grown-ass woman, who's WAY better trained in combat than — anyone — in — this — house! And I expect you, as my husband, to respect me for who I am and to support me! Not to belittle me!"
„I —" Fred began but I cut him off. I knew he was going to say sorry, but I was too angry to let him apologize. My hair had even changed to a dark red that resembled the colour of blood.
„Don't say a word. Now, if you don't mind. I want to shower and go to bed. And no, you may not join me. Go to your old room with George. Or you can sleep in the chicken shed for all I care!" I yelled and stormed out of the living room. I reached our room and closed the door behind me. As soon as I had locked it, tears started running down my cheeks, but not tears of sadness... These were tears of anger.
After I had jumped out of the shower, I changed the colour of my hair back to its usual rose gold, put on one of Fred's t-shirts, some shorts and my favourite Weasley jumper, the pink one. „To match my hair," I thought. As soon as I hopped into bed, someone knocked on my door. I unlocked it with a flick of my wand.
„Come in, Molly," I said.
„Hello, dear. How did you know it was me?" she said and sat down right next to me.
„I read minds, remember?" I said with a smile and she chuckled.
„Here, I brought you a cup of hot chocolate."
„Thanks, Molly." She handed me the cup and I took a sip. „I'm sorry about the whole... you know..."
„Don't be. I don't want to meddle in a married couple's problems. I just wanted to make sure you were alright. You probably haven't eaten anything in hours and that injury was rather nasty. And it's so cold outside..."
„I'm alright, Molly. Thank you," I said as I hugged her.
„I just want you to know that I admire you a lot. I know Fred's just afraid of losing, we all are, but you stood up for yourself. You've grown to be an amazingly strong and brave woman, completely Gryffindor-worthy." My eyes had begun watering again and Molly wiped a tear off my cheekbone.
„I just want him to be proud of me, Molly."
„Dear, he is! We are all so very proud of you. But you're the love of his life! I can't even begin to imagine the pain one must feel after losing the love of one's life..." Molly gave me a little kiss on the forehead. „Rest, you need it."
„Good night, Molly," I said as she left the room.
„Good night, dear," Molly replied and closed the door behind her.