𝚟𝚒𝚒𝚒.

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙽𝚞𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝙰𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"What's that noise?" Kou was interrupted from his talk with Mitsuba. The two had grabbed snacks from the dining cart earlier and was currently eating them in their compartment. Kou heard the scream of several passengers and stood up in a hurry, his golden raitejou in hand. "It sounds like people are in trouble! C'mon, Mitsuba, we have to help them-"

"No!" Mitsuba grabbed Kou's wrist. "Don't go!"

"Why not?" Kou flicked off Mitsuba's hand from his wrist. "You shouldn't be stopping me. I've gotta help those other passengers!" Kou opened the door of their compartment and ran out in a rush. Mitsuba followed Kou while checking his surroundings warily. The gas had not reached the A-class compartments yet.

Kou was about to open the door that led to the other train coaches, when a knife from somewhere behind his back suddenly flew at him and embedded itself on the wall beside the doorknob.

"What the-" Kou turned behind his back and saw that Mitsuba had a few knives slipped between his fingers. Two wing-like structures similar to bones let themselves loose from Mitsuba's fuchsia scarf.

"I'm Wonder No.3, Mitsuba Sousuke!" Mitsuba proclaimed. Kou noticed that Mitsuba no longer had the usual "scared boy" expression on his face anymore. He looked braver and more confident in himself.

"I can't let you go there and get hurt, Kou Minamoto."

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"Yashiro!" Amane called out, reaching out for her and hugging her to prevent her from harm. The sound of breaking glass filled the passengers' ears. Amane immediately covered his mouth and nose using his hand as not to inhale the gas. Yashiro did the same with hers. All around them, passengers started to panic and cough as the smoky gas spread all over the main passenger coach.

"Mei-san! What are you doing?!" Yashiro screamed in muffles. Mei was still rummaging through her luggage, searching for something. Her hands weren't even covering her face.

Moments later, Mei stood in a defiant way. In her hand was a glass orb similar to Sakura's, but instead of the gas being purple, it was orange. Mei hastily threw down the orb, and it exploded around them. Immediately, people started to fall asleep instead of coughing violently, as Sakura's gas was poison.

Yashiro guessed that Mei might have thrown a gas that repels the poisonous effects of Sakura's gas and lightens the effects by making the passengers fall asleep. She guessed that Mei couldn't fully repel the effects of the poison gas, so she only decided to put them to sleep.

"That's enough from you, ma'am!" Mei yelled. She stood in front of Amane and Yashiro protectively. Yashiro saw that she was taller than both of them.

"Mei-san, step back!" Yashiro warned the artist. "Something bad might happen to you-"

"Shouldn't you already realize who I am by now, Yashiro-san?" For the first time, Yashiro noticed that she was now wearing a belly bag filled with various vials, orbs, and a few art supplies - the most dangerous being a cutter. Mei was holding another gas orb in a different color on both of her hands. She was preparing to throw one of them.

"I am Shijima Mei, the Fourth Wonder," Mei threw the orb in Sakura's direction. Sakura had a worried expression on her face as she didn't have any other means of escape. The glass orb shattered and a bluish gas exploded upon impact. Sakura hurried to get away from the train coach, but the gas got to her. The moment Sakura touched the gas, her eyes widened in surprise and pain before falling to the floor.

"Paralyzing gas," Sakura rolled her dull eyes. "Impressive."

Amane let go of Yashiro and walked up to Sakura lying on the ground. He knelt by her side, his expression serious. "So... what's your ultimate motive?"

Sakura scoffed. "Excuse me?"

"Why are you doing this to hundreds of passengers?" Mei asked. "Why did you attempt to poison them?"

Sakura struggled to move her body, but the gas Mei threw at her has rendered her immobile - at least, for now. Sakura tried to look for more possible escape tactics, but seeing as she couldn't even move her body, she was almost hopeless. "I swore not to tell," she whispered, loud enough for both Wonders to hear.

"Why not? Who made you swear not to tell?" Amane threatened the green-haired girl with Mei's cutter.

The events that followed were too much to process. Sakura smirked, catching Amane off guard. The next thing he heard was a stabbing sound and the sound of a girl yelp in pain. Amane turned behind him quickly and was horrified to see Mei unconscious on the floor... even more when he saw Yashiro's eyes close to tears in fear, her mouth covered by a hand to muffle her screams. She struggled to break free as her hands were held tightly behind her back by a person dressed in black.

It was like looking at a mirror. It made Amane feel sick.

"Is that..." the person who looked exactly like Amane immediately let go of Yashiro. "Amane?! Is that you?!"

"N-No..." Amane felt his limbs go weak, and he dropped the cutter. "It can't be-"

"Amane!" the boy ran up to him and tackled him into a hug. "How many years has it been?! Ten? No, it's been more than fifteen years! Agh, I've missed you so much, my Amane!" This person was nuzzling his cheek against Amane's in a very childish way.

"Tsukasa... you-" Amane choked on his words as the memories all suddenly came back to him. "How are you..."

"I was saved by this strange girl on the streets, Amane!" Tsukasa said proudly. "Remember when you had stabbed me back then? Huh? I lived! Hey, Amane, why aren't you talking to me?"

"Amane-kun!" Yashiro stood from the floor with her book in hand, hitting Tsukasa hard on the head with it. Tsukasa fell to the floor, surprised by Yashiro's attack.

"Oh? Amane-kun has a girlfriend?!" Tsukasa seemed even more excited. He quickly rose to his feet. "You're not half-bad, miss."

"Tsukasa, we can't get them today! We have to retreat for now!" Sakura commanded.

"Aww, but I wanted to have fun playing with Amane today..." Tsukasa said with a creepy chuckle. Amane noticed the insanity in Tsukasa's eyes and realized that this Tsukasa wasn't the hopeful person Amane loved.

"Bye-bye, Amane!" Tsukasa picked up Sakura, carrying her bridal-style. "I'll play with you soon!" Tsukasa threw a smoke bomb in their direction.

When the smoke cleared, both Tsukasa and Sakura were gone.

--

A/N: I'm sorry if this chapter seems so badly-written... I'm honestly kind of in a bad situation rn and I didn't feel like writing at all. It feels like I've lost interest in doing the things I love (writing, drawing, etc). I'll still continue this book, don't worry. Your comments all warm my smol kokoro. I just wanted to apologize. I hope you all have a wonderful day <3