Chapter 9

Rose's POV

I had to go with them. How else am I going to prove myself? There could be no better chance than the one before me.

I had already packed what I needed in a small sack and had hidden it in the stables in Storm's shed.

A few spare clothes, some food and water, medicinal herbs and a few daggers and arrows. I already had a spare bow in the shed from the days I used to go hunting. As for a sword, I had one of Ned's old ones.

I was concealed behind a pillar in the courtroom waiting to see how James would ask permission to have Tristan and Ned escort him in his journey.

Father was already on his throne; already aware of the request but not yet sure what's to come of it.

"If your majesty would be kind enough to give me two men during my journey back South, I would owe you a great debt", James asks; hands behind his back. His posture was strong and confident. The way he presents itself will definitely affect as to whether his request is granted.

"You can have any two soldiers of your picking", my father replied calmly.

"I hope you won't be offended when I say that I've already chosen two if they would comply", he paused a moment before adding,"And they're not soldiers"

"You would be referring to one of our finest knights and the crown prince"

"Yes your majesty", James confirmed.

The silence that came after stretched a few minutes longer than it should. Father was thinking. And he was thinking well.

"Very well", he gives up,"I was always able to depend on the South. I can refuse the chance to repay them back. If Ned and Sir Tristan after, you have my blessing and prayers for your safe passage"

At that moment, Tristan and Ned has hurried to the front of the throne and had gotten on their knees.

"I would be honored Father", Ned replies.

"As will I", Tristan comments.

"Then so be it. I hear you three are to ride immediately. Do you have all that you need?", my father asked the trio.

"Yes Sire", Tristan answered,"We made it a point to pack before hand and had enough time to make sure that we had everything that would be of help"

I wonder how Vivian felt of Tristan's leaving. She wasn't in the throne room. She must have been with mother. But I'm almost sure of it that she knew. Did she not care at all for the man she was supposedly in love with for more moons than I could count?

So immersed was I in this thought that I didn't realize that everyone had begun leaving the room. I quickly edged my way to the door and sneaked out when I was pulled aside into a dark corner.

"Tristan?", I exclaim when I saw who had captured me.

"Lady Rose, I'm sorry if I frightened you", he replied.

"You didn't. I was just taken by surprise", I answer calmly.

His eyes rake over what I wore; tight black leather pants and my white silk shirt with my chain mail vest over it and my black boots with my sword dangling over in its sheath tied to my belt. My hunting clothes.

"I hoped you won't have any silly idea of coming with us but it seems as always, you do", Tristan let's put a deep breath,"Why Rose? Stop seeking out trouble. You're only going to slow us or put us into trouble if you come. We can't always protect you and watch our own backs"

I was hurt; the Tristan I knew would never call me out like that,"I'll pretend that I never heard you say such a thing. You know more than anyone else that I can defend myself. If you would have just let me stayed yesterday and fight, you would have needed no more proof that I can handle myself"

"You're Good Rose ", he argues,"But not that good"

"I'm good enough to be of help to you all", I state,"you can't deny that"

"If that little help is going to cost you your life, I would rather not have it", Tristan pleads,"Please, for me Rose"

I was close to the verge of tears now. How could he say that?

"You have no idea. Everything I've said or done had mostly been for you", my voice was breaking.

The next few words were barely heard,"Yet you chose her"

But he heard it.

"Rose what are you saying? What do you mean by saying I chose her", he paused,"Rose... I hope that I'm wrong but were you talking about Vivian?"

I looked at him,"it doesn't matter now does it? Anything I say or do? Just forget I said anything. You're not going to stop me from going"

And when I turned my back to him; my whole life changed. Not because I didn't face him or walk away as I should have but because he had pulled me back, turned me around and placed his lips on mine.

His hands rose up to my cheek and pulled me closer; wiping a tear I didn't know I had let out.

It was all that I had imagined and more. I was finally in his arms. He was finally answering that question on my lips.

But it was probably not for the right reasons.

When he let go; our breath was labored. There wasn't enough air in the world to replenish us.

But there was enough for me to say,"I'm sorry Tristan. I'm still going"

And instead of just turning my back; I ran away.

I ran to the stables, flung open Storm's door, quickly adjusted the saddle and adjusted my sack to hang on his right. I got on him with ease and spirit.

"Let's go boy", I pat his neck before willing him to run towards the gates that had confined me all my life.