SECOND BEST

TITLE: Second Best
SEASON: One
LOVE INTEREST: Pope Heyward
OC NAME: Gianna Dean
FACE CLAIM: Sophia Bryant

TITLE: Second Best SEASON: OneLOVE INTEREST: Pope HeywardOC NAME: Gianna DeanFACE CLAIM: Sophia Bryant

DESCRIPTION:
I will not be your last resort just because she doesn't want you. Not after I've spent my whole life being second best.

EXTENDED SUMMARY:

GIANNA DEAN HAS always wanted to fall in love. Being the daughter of high school sweet hearts, the idea of having a lifetime romance has always been a personal goal of hers. "Love is easy. Look at us, we're living proof of it!" her parents would tell her. When she was 7 years old, Gi convinced herself that she would find her soulmate, marry him, move in with him and get a pet dog as soon as she graduated. Looking back at it, maybe she should've realised how naive that assumption was. If you were to ask current 17 year old Gianna how that plan was going, she would tell you that she's still working on it. In all honesty, she's been "working on it" for far too long — 10 years to be exact.

Gi has not once been picked first in her entire life. For instance, she was never picked first for any school sports, but she was always picked second. In freshman year Sarah Cameron started hanging out with Gianna, but only because her and Kiara had a falling out. Her first boyfriend only started dating her because he couldn't seem to get over his ex girlfriend. Even in the present, she was only accepted into becoming friends with the Pogues because Kie wanted another girl around, and Gianna was the perfect fit. For a while, Gi ignored the obvious trend and kept her head held high. Her judgement was clouded. It couldn't be her fault, it was just an odd coincidence. But there was always a small part of her that knew it was more than a coincidence.

Gianna just needs to be given a chance. A chance to prove herself worthy of first place, to prove she's worth all or nothing. Hurricane Agatha hits the citizens in Outer Banks, causing a mystery to arise between the Pogues. Gianna can't help but feel like it's a sign. This was it. Not only was she on a ridiculous treasure hunt in hopes of becoming filthy rich, but maybe she could win over her longtime crush while doing it. As her and her friends get wrapped deeper into the mystery of the missing gold, realisation was slowly starting to seep through the storm she calls a brain. Maybe she isn't good enough to be first, maybe it's her destiny to be second best. After all, the guy she's liked for months has a crush on her best friend.

NOTES:

- I am a sucker for unrequited love stories so here!

- Gianna is really insecure and needs constant validation. The more she starts to 'accept' the fact that she's always going to be second best, the more she tries to change herself and her personality.

- When the Pogues start to become weary of the gold and the Royal Merchant, she starts to question herself and her feelings/thoughts. Specifically whether or not she's deserving of being anybody's first choice at all.

- It's important that she learns to value herself and her worth! She's not going to suddenly be all fine and dandy if her and Pope get together. My girl deserves the very best & she has a right to know that!

- Even though Pope likes Kie for majority of the story, do not pin the two girls against one another! They do have a slight falling out midway through the story, but they rekindle when the boys strand the two of them on the boat with Sarah.

- Pope confesses his feelings to her while he's high. She knows that Kiara rejected him prior to this, so she's obviously going to be less than satisfied.

- After John B leaves, her and Pope have a talk to get back on good terms. If you really wanted to, you could make it a kiss scene, but it's not necessary.

- also JJ would 1000% make fun of Gianna for being a hopeless romantic and her crush on Pope.

( plot by alisha ! )