Chapter 8

Arlo hadn't bugged Liana at all. He knew to leave her alone, or their situation would get worse, with him being in the dark.

It all brought her to have a better relationship with the mid-tiers and John, who she saw regularly in the infirmary, and texted more.

Arlo felt upset. At himself, for one. More of himself than at Liana. He shouldn't have left her when she said to leave. He shouldn't have placed pressure on her, shouldn't have left her to cry on that road, watching from a distance before leaving when things were fine.

He didn't know how to fix it. So, with two different agendas, he now sat in the same room as Isen, only those two in the room. "It's been a while. You better have something for me."

"Yep. Got you some info."

On the table, he laid down a small note book opened to some point notes, a picture of child Liana in her 2nd grade class photo, and two papers of John, also of a class picture, and his face blown up. And, for some reason, a picture of Remi handing Liana a stuffed bear.

"So, I spent the last few days tailing them, which got me this cute picture here," Isen pointed to the picture of Remi and Liana, "and I watched their behavior. Lia's just Lia, with mid-tier friends and hanging around John when they end up injured. I closed off John's case with an interview. Who do you want first? Lia's case is summed up in points, so-"

"Just tell me what you found."

Isen slid his notebook forward.

Arlo picked it up, reading through the note points.

House burglary, probs during her second grade
•After burglary, ability is controlling gravity
Original ability is Float, basically what she uses her ability for now
lost her dad, lives with godfather
•Reserved kid after that
• Got a stuffed bear from Remiii (so cute)

"I think that, the reason she was hiding her ability was because she was in a bad place when it came."

Isen pointed to the picture of Liana, in 2nd grade.

"Around this age. A late bloomer, I think, since her ability suddenly spiked. Maybe some sort of trauma associated with her ability. If I asked her anything, she always changed the topic and avoided it. Nothing's off about the way she acts, she's just a mid-tier. 2.5 or so. I searched her up before, so it's easier to find stuff over her. Basically, I think, during this incident," he pointed to the burglary point note, "she lost her dad, which is why she's with her godfather. And during that time, her ability suddenly changed. Maybe she saw some disturbing stuff, which is why her house was wrecked. Her ability might make her remember some bad things."

"... I see. What about John?"

"All he was willing to share was that he was homeschooled, and that he's a cripple. He didn't want to talk about himself when we were talking about low-tiers. What he said was pretty hypocritical, too. His actions don't match at all. I thought he was just dumb, and didn't know any better. But when I asked about his past, he got super defensive. He even attacked me! I looked into his hometown and found this!"

Isen showed Arlo the photos of John, whose face was straight, his hair messy, instead of slathered with gel.

"That's him in his class picture. He went there for two years before transferring to Wellston. Looks authoritative, right? I even blew up the picture!" Isen winked. "So, basically. John doesn't care who he bumps into, where he walks, and talks to high-tiers without a second thought. He starts fights with whoever he wants, too. If he didn't claim he was a cripple, I'd actually think he has an ability! Arlo, if you just give me a bit more time, I can figure out everything about these two. I don't really want to bother Lia, tho-"