Chapter 12

When Liana came home, Keene was sitting at the dining table, waiting for her.

"Lia."

She walked to her room, not acknowledging him.

"Lia. Don't ignore me."

She pressed her lips together, opening her bedroom door.

"I don't walk to talk, Uncle."

There was a scraping from the chair; Keene standing up. She hurried to enter her room and closed her door. With a click, she had locked it.

There was shuffling inside. Keene could tell she was making a tent with her bunk bed.

"Lia." He knocked. "Please, we need to talk."

Silence responded.

"Lia, open the door, please."

"No!"

"... Alright." He sat down, his back against the door. If she opened it, he would fall back, but he knew she wouldn't do that. "How about we play a game? I say a word, you tell me what you think. I'll go first: Bear."

"Teddy. Cute. Soft. Fork. Arlo," she sounded fine for a moment, before suddenly spiralling, "police. Liar. Authorities. False sense of security. Tracker. Dead people?"

Ohh boy. Keene sweatdropped. "Picnic?"

"Gathering. People. Work. Authorities. Spy. Program. Handcuffs-!"

Keene thought for a moment. He found an old memory, something little Liana told him once. "How about a park? Like the ones you played at when you were little."

"... Grass," he had to listen hard to hear her, "Sand. Sandbox. First friend. Blue. Sky. Swings. Chains-"

"Okay, that's good," he interrupted, not letting her spiral into that one. "Remember that friend you made, Lia?"

Though she didn't answer, he knew she was listening. Her earphones broke a
while ago, when she accidentally dipped them into paint water instead of her paint brush for the decorating committee to share an idea. She couldn't use music to block him out.

"I was so worried when you told me you met a boy. That wasn't what I should've heard back then, that was twenty years too early!"

Little blue, little blue, where are you?

He heard a faint breath from amusement. Smiling, he continued,

"So, imagine this now. You want to go to Wellston because you have friends. And then, I get pictures of you with friends, and things you worked on. Then a boy comes over on Valentine's Day with candy. Obviously, I panicked and asked if he wanted baby pictures."

Wait, that was the reason why-?!

Liana quietly crawled out of her tent. He heard the faint squeaks, but made no notice.

She sat against the other side of the door she locked, listening.

My little one, my precious, my daughter too.

"Remember why you were enrolled in that program? It was because you weren't doing good. How could you be, if you were always crying for your parents? I'd get arrested!"