Chapter 10

"SERAAAA!"

Seraphina, sitting on John's doorstep, watched as Liana came barreling on her bike, almost crashing into John's door posts, but managing to get off safely.

"Welcome back!" She sat down next to her, tapping and waving her feet excitedly.

"Good to be back," Seraphina huffed. "So, what did I miss?"

"Not much," Liana was quick to say, pulling out her phone, her bike laid against the wall of his home.

At least, by being busy and having an excuse to be out, she could avoid the talk she would have with her godfather.

Her not having a job anymore actually gave her free time after school, too. So she guessed she should be glad for that, because she wasn't planning on getting another job.

Seraphina put her phone down, undoing Liana's braids.

"Um-?"

Seraphina quickly turned Liana's hair into two pigtails. "Did really nothing happen?"

"Just the normal bullying.."

"... Are you alright?"

"Mhm. It's just been... a bit worse than usual." Eyes downcast, Liana made a small smile. "The worst was probably getting locked in a locker. I got scared, but Isen broke me out."

Seraphina pulled her in so her head laid on her shoulder.

On her phone, Seraphina could feel Liana trembling a bit. But she didn't cry, holding it in instead.

. . .

Waiting for John to come back, the two were on their phones. Liana tried breaking into John's house via window.

"You know the door is open, right? And I have a spare key."

"Shshshshhh."

So it didn't work. She didn't want to break anything.

Seraphina helped her finish her homework, so she was good for the rest of the day.

Maybe ten minutes passed.

Liana was inside, sitting on the couch. The door was open, Seraphina sitting on the stairs.

There was a thump outside.

***

John walked home slowly.

Covered in blood, a metallic smell that burned his nose, he couldn't find himself to care.

First, that girl with green, braided hair... And now, Arlo.

Coming back from that fight in the Turf Wars location, he clenched his teeth and threw his bag.

Where is ALL THE WORTH IN THIS WORLD?!

It slid to a stop, hitting one of the door posts in front of his door.

And, in the middle of that dark world, a beacon of light made itself known.

"John!"

His head snapped up, seeing a face that he yearned to see, for what felt like forever.

Magenta hair, with green and yellow highlights. Blue eyes. Fair skin, fine facial features, and hair extensions from behind. Like the sun, he had to squint.