Rise and shine you little weasel

The next morning I find myself at Alaric's apartment ignoring Elena and having to watch over a comatose Kai, why I had to? I don't know, I had assumed that I was not to be trusted

Well it turns out it was not a solo job, because Damon shows up, apparently I was here to keep him from smothering Kai to death whilst he slept and he was here to stop me from freeing Kai. I drown him and Elena out not caring about whatever nonsense they were speaking about. Instead I make my way to Kai's bedside, I stand there for a second looking at him, Kai had terrible nightmares on most nights in the prison world but I'd get in his head and change them for him, I don't even know why I used to do it considering I had my humanity off and everything, but I don't know there was something inside me that didn't like hearing him suffer.

This must've been torture for him, I smooth his hair back before I take his hand in mine and close my eyes.

"Dad wait no please it was an accident!" The panicked voice was Kai but he was younger much younger, he looked around 10 years old, I had seen plenty of these memories in the past ten years and I didn't like where it was going, "you're an abomination Malachai, a freak of nature, and we're going to fix that." Joshua says getting the belt, I shut my eyes not wanting to see this, "dad please don't!" My heart hurts at the pain and the fear in young Kai's voice, "I'm sorry dad I didn't mean to." I flinch at the sound of the belt striking skin, "I'm sorry." He cries again at receiving another lash, "you know not to touch us." His father says sternly. I pull my hand away, not wanting to witness anymore.

I quickly wipe the tears that had fallen down my cheeks before grabbing Kai's hand again, not wanting him to suffer for a minute longer. Maybe it was the fact that I saw my own father in Joshua Parker and could relate to the sickness and pain that fear would bring but I just didn't want him to have to relive those memories. I take over and change the scenery, I take us to four years ago, Kai and I had, had a really fun day, we went swimming in a lake finding a beautiful waterfall where Kai had bet me that he could hold his breath underwater for longer, he was wrong of course. The day was beautiful but looking over it with feelings was weird, it felt special to me even though it hadn't at the time.

I leave his mind after making sure only good dreams would follow to see Damon watching me. "You have a thing for him." I scoff and and shake my head at him, "I do not." I deny as I fix the blanket on him. "You so do Violet, look at you." I sigh, "he's my friend Damon." Damon laughs, "this is pathetic, he's a sociopath Vi, he doesn't even care about you." I feel my eyes burn but I refuse to cry, "I know Damon, but I care about him." I know that Kai didn't care about me but I couldn't help it, I needed him, he was all I had for ten years, he was my safe place, the only person I felt a hundred percent comfortable around. This decade was scary, the world had passed me by, my brothers had moved on and they had left me behind, everything had left me behind. I didn't know what to do with myself I was lost, I couldn't fit in with them, I felt like a burden around them, out of place and useless.

The only person I had was Kai and I didn't want to lose him.

I try and walk past Damon but he grabs my arm rather harshly if I may add, "let go Damon." I huff trying to pull my arm free, "you have to stop this  Violet." One thing I preferred about Stefan was that he never tried to force his opinions on you, even if you were making a mistake he would give his judgement but he would let you continue and learn for yourself. "Stop what?" I ask him confused, "you're pining after someone who will never return your feelings." I laugh humourlessly, "I'm not pining after anyone." I tell him truthfully, even though I had a crush on Kai I knew better than to let myself get heartbroken.

"I helped you guys grab him what is your issue?" I ask, "nothing." I roll my eyes fed up of this, "Damon I love you but I am not a baby anymore so please stop treating me like one, Stefan and I are the same age for gods sake." I know that he was just doing it out of love but I could look after myself. "He's going to die Violet, one way or the other so why don't you just accept that."

I don't want to think about that, so I just leave, what was there to do anyways sit with my older brother who would continue to irritate me as my only friend who barely even cared about me laid unconscious a room over?

Once I realised that I actually didn't even have anywhere to go I just walked around for a while before heading back to the apartment. When I get there I find Tyler I think his name was pulling the oximeter from Kai's finger. I was going to stop him but then I just decided to see where this was going.

Tyler keeps unhooking wires from Kai. Damon walks in. "Bad timing, Lockwood. I'm in a mood. What the hell are you doing?" Damon vamp-speeds over to Tyler, grabs him by the throat and slams him against the door frame, "I'll make it easier on you. I'll give you multiple choice: A, I'm being an idiot. B, I have anger issues, and I'm a puny human now, and I have to pick on people while they sleep. C, A and B are both correct." Tyler breaks loose and starts coughing, "Liv's dad is in town." My blood runs cold at the mention of the old man that I hated so much.

"Really?" Damon asks, "She's trying to convince him to let Jo and Kai do the merge." He explained. "Oh, so you just thought you'd come and grab Kai as a fail-safe in case Papa Parker says no to Liv and Luke. You just turn him loose and he merges with Jo anyway, huh? While I appreciate your efforts, he's a psycho freak magic siphon. I'm not gonna just let you walk out with him." Damon stops. Having an idea, he slaps Tyler on the shoulder, "I could kiss you right now, you beautiful moron." Tyler looks a bit confused and afraid not that I blame him I would be too. "What are you talking about?" Damon grabs Tyler and vamps over to the bed, injecting him with the Phenobarbital, causing him to pass out, "Yep, that stuff works really well. Nighty-night. That should keep you down for an hour." He says to himself, "what's going on?" I ask him, he briefly explains the Liz situation to me before taking Tyler's phone and stepping away.

I stay by the bed waiting for Kai to wake up and for Damon to come back. Kai finally comes around and sits up, he looks around confused until his eyes land on me. "What's going on?" He asks rubbing the sleep from his eyes, "you got caught smarty pants." I tell him patting his shoulder, he lets out a sigh and falls back. "Rise and shine, you little weasel." Damon says as he walks back into the room, Kai tries to use magic on Damon, but it has all drained away while he was sleeping, "Oohh, trying to pop a blood vessel in my brain? Sorry. Not gonna work. Looks like all that magic you sucked up drained away while you were asleep, which is good for me. Don't worry, I know where you can get more." Kai sits up and laughs once, humourlessly. "You really think I'm gonna trust you?" He asks, "No. And I'm not gonna trust you. I just happen to need a magic siphon and you're the only game in town." Kai looks down at Tyler and hops over him, "Hi." He says to the unconscious boy before he turns to Damon, "Let's discuss my fee."

"Let me guess you wanna do the merge, yeah we figured." I sigh knowing that the two idiots in front of me were wasting time. "Can we please just go and save Liz?" I ask before pushing past both boys and making my way to the door.