Love

I was wandering the hallway of whichever house Kai and I were staying at, when I began to her small whimpers? I follow the sound to find that it led me to the bedroom Kai was sleeping in. Kai was the one whimpering in his sleep as he fidgeted uncomfortably I watched him in curiosity for a moment.

Whilst awake this man acted like nothing phased him but whilst he slept he showed his true feelings, feelings he had probably been trying to suppress. I perch myself on the edge of the bed and take his limp hand in my own, deciding to see what all the fuss was about.

I watch a young boy getting shouted at by Joshua parker, he's spewing so much hate at the young child and it reminds me of my own father, I flinch at the sound of his hand meeting the young boys skin. It was obvious that the child was Kai, I could feel his fear and it was sickening, I hated men like this, how could they claim to be a father when they treated their child in such a horrible manner? It was a gross misuse of the power they had over us and I was sick of it.

I decided that Kai shouldn't have to suffer through whatever past trauma he had and so I change the dream, to something peaceful, something that would let Kai get a good nights rest with an uninterrupted sleep, he deserved at least that much.

I groan as the sunlight filters through the window to hit my face, irritation flaring up in me as I reluctantly woke up. I smell something delicious and decide to follow the smell to the kitchen where I see Kai humming as he makes pancakes, I smile to myself as I watch him, until I remember what I had been dreaming about.

I shuffle forwards and find myself wrapping my arms around his torso as I rest my head against his back. He tenses for a second before realising it was me, "good morning to you too." He chuckles, "I'm so glad we're friends." I murmur as I listen to his heartbeat which increases slightly. "What's with you?" He asks as I don't let him go yet, "nothing I just wanted a hug." I tell him making him turn around to face me, "are you ok?" He asks and I nod, not wanting to tell him what was on my mind. He shrugs and wraps his arms around me making me grin, I did love his hugs.

"Ok now let's eat." I hum pulling away to grab a plate of the fluffy pancakes. "Your pancakes are to die for." I grin making Kai grin himself, "anything I make is to die for." He winks making me laugh slightly. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here." I giggle.

"Hey vi." I look up to meet Kai's beautiful blue sterling grey eyes, I noticed the hesitance on his face and grew curious, "what's up?" He looks down for a second, "you know what we were talking about last night?" I nod, "do you mind if I ask one more question." I shake my head, "what do you wanna know?" He grins seeming slightly relived, "how did you, how do you know when you're in love?" What was with his obsession with love?

"Why?" I ask him curiously making his eyes widen slightly, "no reason I just wanna know." I shrug not being bothered in interrogating him further, "well it's different for everyone, um for example with Harry, it was... it was like jumping and not really knowing where you'd land, until after it was done, then you knew." He nods but I don't think he really gets it, "and with Theo," I smile softly, "I don't think there was ever a moment where I didn't love him." I notice it doesn't seem to make it any clearer for him, "but a moment that really told me would be running on the beach with him in the middle of the night, we ran through freezing cold water. I looked over at his smiling face and how free and alive I felt in that moment. I wanted that forever." He smiles slightly as he watches me.

"What?" I ask him with a smile, "nothing." I give him a pointed look as if to say 'tell me' but he shakes his head, "you wanna watch a movie?" I shrug, "sure."

***

"What do you call a vampire on sale?" I shake my head at Kai he had been telling me some god awful jokes and he would not stop, "what?" He cracks a smile so big I can't help but copy, "discount Dracula." He laughs at what he thinks is hilarious but I shake my head and try to keep my laughter in. "Come on Vi, I know you want to laugh." I keep my mouth firmly shut, "why don't vampires bet on horses?" I roll my eyes but play along, "why?" I ask, "because they can't handle the steaks." I can't help the small laugh that escapes my mouth at his ridiculousness. "Haha! I knew you found me funny." He exclaims excitedly making me grin, "ok that one wasn't terrible." I admit as he laughs.

I sat there for a second and just watched as his eyes lit up as he found it difficult to stop laughing, I loved it when he laughed, it was a sound I could listen to the rest of my life with no complaints. "What?" He asks after noticing my staring, "nothing." I tell him shaking my head, "really? Didn't seem like nothing, you were staring at me." I roll my eyes in an over exaggerated manner as he smirks, "shut up, I was not." I deny hitting him with a pillow, but he was right it wasn't nothing, after he snapped me out of that daze it dawned on me that I had fallen for him.

I Violet Salvatore had fallen in love with Kai Parker, the big bad sociopath that everyone else hated.