02

E R I C

"Watch me, boys!" I recoiled in my seat when Shawn took the massive pizza box and proceeded to open it. In horror, I watch as my best friend shoves slice after slice of the hot pizza down his throat, looking like a beast who has been starved his entire life. He had being dared to eat a complete pizza and in return, he'll receive one thousand dollars. Without hesitation, he dipped in.

I brought the beer bottle close to my lips about to sip when something dawned in me. I'm the one to drive myself home. Promising myself to be sober for the next couple of weeks would be difficult on me I realised. I would miss the familiar taste of beer as it burns down my throat and create a whole new different aura for me. Patience was the key point but having the beer in my hand is tempting.

The beer was suddenly taken away from me and I glanced at the intruder to see my best friend, Zack smirking at me. He knows about my plan and has being trying to get on my nerves. Zack wanted to provoke me to get me to break my oath.

"EAT A BAG FULL OF DICKS BECAUSE I WON, NOW GIVE ME MY MOTHERFUCKING ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!" Shawn slurred with a fist up in the air and a hand holding his small, bulging stomach obviously from what he ate.

I massaged my temples and hid my face when a few heads turn our way and stare at Shawn weirdly. Some even have the audacity to laugh. To stop him from further embarrassing me, I took out four hundred dollars from my wallet and handed it to him. Zack was half drunk as he slowly brought out a six hundred dollar notes to which Shawn grabbed immediately.

Shawn stood up, his chair screeching back in the process and drawing attention again which he never seemed to notice. He took the bottle from Zack and sipped. "I might not be able to take any woman to bed but at least, I got free one thousand dollars. I'm out." He almost stumbled his way out of the open air restaurant.

Zack and I watch our best friend's retreating figure as he strolled drunkenly towards the main road where his Uber was waiting for him. Spending our nights at this open air restaurant was pretty often, we got used to Shawn's noisy drunk form. He usually gets drunk and called an Uber when he's ready to leave. On rare occasions, he left with women though. Women that last no longer than a week or two.

"Glad we got rid of the pizza." Zack said grinning and sipping at his drink. Apparently, we're more than satiated after eating a lot of junk food. Shawn was our only choice when we didn't know what to do with the last pizza.

My phone pinged from my jeans pocket. I brought it out and tapped on the new text message.

'Come pick your drunk ass girl.'

I shuddered at Leslie's words. I could already imagine her holding Amy and trying to cope with whatever she was trying to do. Whether planning to run naked on the street or wearing a blindfold and attempting to drive herself home. Anyways, if I don't get there on time, Amy might do more than that.

"I'm out of here, dude. Maybe it's time you take your lonely ass back home." I retorted to Zack who was still drinking his beer casually, his eyes now closed with no intention to move.

My upper lip curled as I let out a sigh. I gaze around the restaurant, my eyes falling upon the round tables with five chairs each surrounding them. The scent of mouth watering dishes saturated the air and the soft music in the background made me want to sit back and relax. There was the beautiful chandelier in the middle above the dance floor and a few couples were dancing. The murmuring, laughter and chattering of the people and clacking of plates was like the humming of bees in my ears.