04

J U P I T E R

"Take good care of yourself, mi hija. I'm terribly missing you." My Dad's voice rang out through the phone. I smiled, knowing he couldn't see it. "I miss you too, Dad. Love you."

"Alright, love you too. Hope to hear from you soon." He said before I hung up. I dropped the phone on the table and went back to eating my breakfast.

I spent the whole morning in bed, just chilling and watching TV. It feels so good to be lazy and the comfy bed turned me into a sloth. The only time I got up was to brush my teeth and get myself some snack to eat. I never imagined myself making breakfast at 12:30pm.

After I finished breakfast, I got my purse from the bedroom inside the closet. I didn't bother to close my suitcase after almost discarding my stuff while searching for the perfect outfit. Finding the purse, I grabbed my shades and got out of the apartment. My destination was to go to Daisy's place and see if I could find her. A smile appeared on my lips at the thought of meeting my best friend after eight years of separation.

The taxi drove me to Daisy's place. I had my doubts the Coleman are still living there but I wanted to give it a try. I wasn't on good terms with them before I left though. The Coleman were selfish and cared about Daisy's younger sister more than they care about their other children and I don't like them for that.

It was painful to watch my best friend being treated horribly by her adopted parents. Apparently they adopted Daisy and her brother, Collin after their parents passed away in a car crash. But when Mrs Coleman finally got pregnant, all the love and affections they had for their adopted kids were shifted to their biological daughter, Jenna.

I got out of the taxi and ambled my way to the front door. The new painting and the fence surrounding the house didn't go unnoticed. It wasn't there before. With shaky hand, I pressed on the doorbell. On the outside, I tried to take a deep inhale to look calm but inside, my mind and body was in disarray. I was thinking of the way Daisy would react to seeing me after eight years. Vividly, I could remember she was a few months pregnant. I nervously chuckled to myself, imagining my bad girl best friend being a mother.

The door pulled open and a beautiful redhead appeared. She looks to be in her middle age, tall with confusion in her dazzling green eyes. I looked down to find a little boy peeking from the side. He must be her son because they look strikingly similar.

"Hello there, how may I help you?" The woman questioned kindly. "Hey there. Do you know any Coleman here? I think they live here like eight years ago," I enlightened her.

Her eyebrows knitted and she twisted her lips as though in deep thoughts. "Young lady, I'm so sorry but I don't know any. My family and I moved in here six years ago. When we bought the house, it belonged to this lonely old man. But that's all I know."

I paused and stepped back to inspect the house carefully. It wasn't a mistake. This was the Coleman's house eight years ago. "Thank you for the information. I thought they still live here." I said, forcing a smile. The woman smiled back before shutting the door.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my curls. Where will I even start searching for Daisy? I changed my phone number when I left so they wouldn't reach out to me because I wanted to move on quickly. Thinking of it, I regretted my decision.

I got back inside the taxi and instructed the driver to take me to Maxwell High. I missed being a high school student and oblivious to the cruel world. I still have a couple of photos of the people I missed. They aren't just a silhouette in my life for they helped built my personality. There melodic laughter still lingers in my mind and their pranks always brought a smile to my face. My chest ached at the thought of what I lost.