Chapter Two

Tuesday, December 17, the Loft, 9 pm

WomynRule: POG, what was with that list Tina made today? Is there something happening between you and my brother that I don't know about? AGAIN?

You know how they say that when it rains it pours? Well, I think the opposite is also true – when something good happens, it just keeps happening. This is what happened to me, at least, when Michael and I got back together. Lilly and I became friends again. She screamed for half an hour how stupid I had been and then another half an hour apologizing for that website.

FtLouie: She found me another date for the Carnival.

WomynRule: Why don't you just tell her?

FtLouie: That I am not interested? I told her fifteen billion times!

WomynRule: Not that, you idiot. Just tell her you are back together with my brother.

She might be one of the few people that knows about Michael and I, but she totally doesn't realize the whole aspect of the problem.

FtLouie: You know I can't do that, Lilly.

WomynRule: Frankly, she will have to learn eventually.

FtLouie: The more people I tell the more chances there are of Grandmere or Dad finding out. And you know how they would feel about it!

WomynRule: THEY WILL FIND OUT EVENTUALLY!

FtLouie: I will tell them after Michael comes back. If they find out now, they will want to know how it happened, and I can't exactly say I FLEW ALL THE WAY TO JAPAN COMMERCIALLY, CAN I? I DON'T WANT TO GIVE THEM ANY REASON TO HATE MICHAEL. You don't understand, Lilly.

WomynRule: Sure I don't. POG, things will be much different after my brother comes back.

Oh, no kidding! There's gonna be at least one less thing to lie about to everybody!

FtLouie: You mean I won't be able to hide it any longer?

I waited for her reply but it didn't come.

FtLouie: Lilly? Are you still there?

Which usually means she is too irritated to type in a rational voice.

FtLouie: Lilly?

WomynRule: I meant ... never mind.

FtLouie: YOU MEANT WHAT? THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT HOW?

WomynRule: I just meant that when Michael comes back from Japan, he won't be some college student anymore.

No; he'll be a guy who reinvented heart surgery.

And he will be my boyfriend.

Can boyfriends get any cooler than that? Personally, I don't find rock stars to be too attractive.

FtLouie: You think this will make Grandmere stop hating him? No way, Lilly, TRUST ME. He still won't be royal and that makes him unworthy of me no matter what. Royals do not marry un-royals.

You'd think after four years, a genius like Lilly would realize this about Grandmere.

WomynRule: Didn't you say she wants to hook up with that Norwegian banker?

FtLouie: Yeah, but that's different. He's rich.

WomynRule: Please tell me you are kidding.