Chapter Eighteen

Tuesday, December 31, 5 am

Falling asleep in the arms of your One True Love is the best feeling in the world.

Waking up with the same arms wrapped around you should be just as sweet. Well, it probably would be if the first thing that went through my head as I opened my eyes wasn't - TODAY IS THE SPEECH DAY.

FREAK OUT TIME.

Michael keeps telling me that I have nothing to worry about. That I look beautiful, that I will charm everybody and that I am even allowed to read the speech. There is nothing for me to worry about.

I think he just wants me to calm down so that he can go back to sleep. I mean, we are functioning on only 3 hours of sleep.

Tuesday, December 31, 5:30 am

I decided to leave Michael alone (poor thing looked exhausted), so here I am, wandering around the palace.

The staff here is rather friendly at this early hour. Probably because Grandmere is still safely in her bed so she can't fire anyone on accounts of being too friendly with the members of the Royal Family.

Tuesday, December 31, 6 am

I am playing the ''How much you know about Genovia" quiz with laundry ladies. François was right – I know nothing about Genovia's pop culture!

Tuesday, December 31, 6:30 am

Heidi, one of the maids, wrote me a list of best Genovia's musicians and TV series. I am so downloading this when I get back to New York.

Tuesday, December 31, 6:45 am

François just told me about the remainder of the dinner, you know, after Michael and I sneaked out to the Winter Garden.

Contessa Trevanni and Bella left the palace completely embarrassed and took the cab to the train station. This probably means I will never ever have to attend Contessa's Black & White Gowns Ball again.

Grandmere kicked Arne and his cheating nephew out of the palace. Totally. She ordered servants to pack their bags and leave them at the front entrance. By some strange coincidence, a number of reporters witnessed it and took pictures.

Francois also showed me the morning paper. 'Don't Mess With Renaldo Women!' is written on the front cover – the whole article praises Grandmere for kicking out a guy who she had invited to spend the holidays with her but he rather went partying down the coast without her. She is, according to a reporter, an example for every woman – never let a guy play with you! We are better off alone than with a man who cannot commit!

Moreover, she was totally praised for not hiding it. I mean, royals always hide stuff like this (separate bedrooms for Charles and Diana on their honeymoon?) because our lives are supposed to be super glamorous and all and having everyday problems is just not part of our image. The reporter believes that, because royals are so admired by the public, this action will inspire many other women to stand up for themselves and stop being victims to men's passive abuse.

Why do I have a feeling Lilly will start LOVING my grandmother?

Tuesday, December 31, 7 am

I did it.

I beat François in the sliding in socks competition.

And he didn't let me win.

I think.

Tuesday, December 31, 8 am

Oh my god.

This is it. This is the final straw.