Chapter Nineteen

Tuesday, December 31, 4 pm

Well ...

This was ...

Unexpected. Empowering. Liberating.

And nobody seems to be angry with me. Dad gave me a big hug and said he was proud of me.

Michael even came to the stage and KISSED ME IN FRONT OF ALL THE CAMERAS! IN FRONT OF THE WORLD!

And I have a feeling this isn't the last time he did something like this. Because I think that we are now ... a super couple. Now there is nothing to stop us (I mean, my grandmother has approved ... no magazine will ever dare to write who I should be dating instead). We are now like Brad and Angie. Like David and Victoria. Like Beyoncé and Jay Z.

I still can't believe what happened. Nor understand it. I mean, I was SO nervous before they called me on stage. My hands were shaking and the cards I was holding were totally sweaty. I was totally sure that I would trip on my way to the microphone. Or that my heel would break (it happens way too often with me).

"... Princess of Genovia, Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo!" I heard them calling me and the crowd started cheering.

"I cannot do this," I whispered to Michael.

"Don't be silly," he said and kissed my temples. "Go. Just speak from your heart. And remember, I will love you no matter what happens, ok?"

And so I stumbled onto the stage, waved at the crowd, shook hands with the minister and directors of the shelter and SPCA.

And then I found myself standing in front of the microphone. There were people everywhere. Maybe not all Genovians came to see me speak, but at least 90% did.

No, I didn't find it stressful at all.

"Hello," I said in the tiniest voice and the voice in my head was going just read the cards! Go on! You can read, you know you can! Just read them!

And then another voice went just don't read too fast! Don't read too fast, they have to understand what you are saying!

If this isn't a sign of mental illness, then I do not know what it is.

"Animals, our pets, are always there for us. When we are sad, they comfort us, when we are happy, they make us happier. Every time we get home, they are happy to see us. They never let us down,"I started and tried to ignore the voice in my head that joined the choir, only this one was screaming JUST DON'T LOOK AT THE PEOPLE!

But you know, the more you try to suppress something, the more likely you are to do just that thing. So I looked up.

And the afternoon sun shone directly into my eyes.

And I guess I had a revelation.

It was totally movie-like, you know, when a light bulb lights in one's head.

I suddenly thought of a million different things.

I remembered that time Michael called me and I was totally freaking about, well, everything.

"You are putting too little faith in yourself. You can do everything you want to as long as you try."

"I'm just saying, Michael, without this whole royalty aspect, things would be so much simpler."

"Maybe ... but can't you see how much you can actually do as a princess? I know it is annoying to have the world following you everywhere and pay attention to everything you're doing. But have you ever thought of what you could do with that?"