𝐂.07

the power of love

PRETTY SOON AFTER JJ SAW THAT MARTY WAS AN UNCULTURED SWINE, the HMS Pogue's engine started and the gang was out on their way on the marsh. The boat didn't need a lot to make it move, because it was relatively small. Smaller than what Martha was used to, but she decided to keep that to herself.

Her father owned countless yachts and other ships, she got to see so many amazing pieces of workmanship by just going to work with her dad. Her father's gonna flip if he knows that his only little girl was out with so-called dirty pogies.

But Marty saw them as regular people like herself, she's open-minded, to say the least. Besides she thinks that Kooks are shittier human beings more now than ever —especially kooky men. Her mom, Kie, Sarah, and Nicky were the best kooky girls she's ever known.

Sure, her mother and her two best friends were a little full of themselves and cared about their appearance, but they were still no different from Kie and herself. They all loved their friends and family, the excitement of adventure, and especially lovey-dovey and reckless romance.

Marty sits between Pope and JJ, leaning back on JJ's right leg. Pope was reading some sort of graphic novel, she was gonna ask him what it was, but he looked so focused and she didn't want to bother him.

She was right across from Kie, who looked hella good in her army green bikini and sorta diagonal to John B, who was hauling up nets load of fish.

JJ was saddled by the old plastic inner-boat wall, his left foot drifting in the marsh water and his other tapped to a beat he had in his for a while now. He didn't mind Marty leaning on him. He kinda liked it.

Marty looked away from Kie's beautiful body knowing that it was creepy to stare and honestly a double standard. She didn't like it when Rafe stared at her body and she's doing the same thing to Kie's. 'But I'm not going to rape her now am I?'

Marty felt JJ's leg shift underneath her and she looked up at him, catching him taking another puff of his vape. She smirks, as her eyes gloss over in lust and astonishment. "You do know that vaping is bad for you right?"

JJ looks down at Marty, immediately locking his bluish-gray eyes with her tree-colored ones. "I do love bad things. And I don't listen to uncultured swine like yourself." He points out, taking a swing of his Milwaukee beverage.

Marty scoffs, shifting her head back towards the group. "As long as my lungs are crystal clear, I have no problem with being one."

"Well, I do." JJ mumbles, exhaling his smoke.

Marty chuckles, making the rest of the Pogues steal glances at the couple. "And what are you going to do about it?" She challenges, crossing her tan arms in front of her body.

"Okay, that's it! John B! We are having a movie night tonight. Poguey style!" JJ exclaims, calling everyone's attention.

"I mean that's cool, whatever, I don't mind. It just better not be some Frozen shit," John B says, grabbing the fishnets and hauling them out onto the deck.

The fish net split open like some skank's legs and out spilled twenty to thirty dirty smellin' fish. 'Just like my legs, dirty slut,' Martha says inside her head. She knows it's not true but she still believes it.

"Nice haul, dude. Look at that." JJ says, grinning at his best friend.

"Ugh, John B," Kie groans, picking up her legs and shifting away from the pile of fish.

Marty just laughs, nothing could ever be worse than what she had on her face this morning.

"Been all bait for, like, three weeks," JJ laughs along with Martha.

John B smiles at them as he picks up a fish, and chucks it in their direction. Marty shrieks momentarily before sending the middle finger towards Rutledge. "Gross dude, totally uncalled for!" JJ exclaims, wiping down his bare leg and Marty's shoulder.

➵ ➵ ➵

"WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE WE WATCHING, JJ?" Kiara says, plopping down on the worn-out pullout couch next to Pope. She just finished making everyone a batch of popcorn and handing them out to everyone. John B sat on the ground in front of them, wrapped in blankets. His fingers are already digging into his bowl of popcorn.

Thwack! Kiara whacks Johnny B's back of his head, "the movie hasn't even started yet! Don't waste it, there's only one batch barely enough for the five of us!"

Marty chuckles as she sees John B's lips move quickly as if he was mocking her words. She cuddles into her blanket, she was still wearing JJ's crewneck since he found one of John B's bajas. 'He looks really good in it,' Marty thought.

JJ smiles at the group, shaking a DVD disc cover as he hops over clutter and jogs happily over to the DVD player underneath the old box television. "Don't worry, it's a classic, you'll love it. I always have."

JJ clasps his hands together, does a girly twirl and squeal, and runs to the nearest open spot next to Marty. 'She looks so cute wrapped up in blankets, she's like a baby to coddle,' he thinks, placing his arm around her.

A blue screen with big and italicized orange lettering spelling out Back to the Future appears on the grainy screen. JJ's face lights up with the cutest grin Marty has ever seen from him.

Many hoots and hollers roar in excitement from the rest of the pogues. "Oh hell yes!" "I love this movie!" "It's such a classic!"

"Okay, okay, settle down, it's starting. And no spoilers! Baby McFly hasn't seen it yet!" JJ says, pointing the tiny black remote at the screen.

➵ ➵ ➵

THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE, all JJ could pay attention to was Marty's facial expressions as she watched in excitement. He became mesmerized at her witty comments like how incestuous the movie is, or how horny Lorraine is for Marty, or how are the timeline puns are "extremely annoying but oh so good!"

"This was my mother's favorite movie to watch with me before she left dad," JJ whispers down into Marty's ear when Doc was explaining to Marty that he mustn't bump into anyone during his stay in 1955.

Marty could feel his breath on her neck, she tore off her blanket and forced JJ to share it with her not too long ago. She reaches her right hand to lace her fingertips on JJ's —his arms were long, so his hand dangled off her right shoulder.

"I can see why, it is very good. I wish my parents had a favorite movie to watch with me, they're always so busy with work. It's like they don't have time for me," she whispers into his chest.

He mentally jolts at the feeling of her fingernails grazing the surface of his skin. He smiles sympathetically back down to her before they both continue to watch the movie.

Marty's eyebrows contort in hatred as she watches the cafeteria scene unfold. Biff was becoming too handsy with Lorraine, saying things that he was going to give it to her whether she liked it or not.

"I don't like Biff, he reminds me of Rafe. At least Lorraine fights back, she doesn't just let him crawl all over her," she voices up, startling JJ because she had become so quiet during the scene. He turns his head to see her kaleidoscope eyes tear up from the corner of his eye, but she hides it, quickly wiping her salty tears away.

'Wait, did Rafe do something to her? Why is she so upset?' He thinks, as his face washes over with worry, anger, and care. He didn't care if Pope, Kie, or John B could see that he cared for the girl, he felt protective. And one way or another, he was determined to find out what had happened.