peaceful times-rafe

y/n l/n has waited for this moment all day.
after forcing herself to pay attention in her academic classes only to later be released in order to work strenuous hours at her job,
she is now finally free to lie to sleep in her bed.
the oh-so comfortable bed that has been begging for her presence since she left this morning.
freshly showered and relaxed,
y/n turns the lights off and slips beneath her covers.
her cheek hits the pillow,
her eyes shut to reveal a world anew,
and she finally slips to sleep.
it is no surprise she dreams of rafe cameron,
her long time lover.
y/n has finally reached a point in her life where her dreams accurately reflect her reality.
no more waking up with a heavy disappointment drying in her throat and wetting her eyes.
her life is now peaceful and perfect.
and as the hours pass with no noise but the sounds of y/n's steady breathing,
her slumber comes to an abrupt end when there's a rapid knocking at her window.
she sits up in her bed with bleary eyes and a heart racing from the suddenness of it all,
but through her curtains she can make out the familiar silhouette standing just beyond her window.
y/n hurries to let rafe inside her room,
where he stands in his usual nighttime attire.
this comes across as unusual to y/n.
rafe usually calls,
he rarely shows up unannounced like this.
"rafe? are you okay?"
"oh, god,"
rafe sighs like a lovers relief.
he brings y/n into his arms and holds her tight to his chest.
"i'm sorry...i didn't mean to wake you."
"it's okay,"
she whispers,
bringing her hands up and down his back in a caress.
she can feel the racing of his tired heart against her cheek as she stands here in his embrace.
"what happened?"
"i had a dream something horrible happened to you. i don't know why. but, uh...but i didn't hear from you before you fell asleep and i just...i panicked when i woke up and couldn't breathe right 'till i knew you were okay."
rafe cradles the back of y/n's head with his hand and kisses her forehead.
she laughs a little at the situation,
which makes rafe feel a little lighter inside.
"i'm here. i'm okay."
"i know. and you look beautiful."
y/n rolls her eyes but smiles nonetheless.
"you always say that."
"because it's always true, my love."
rafe smiles at his godsend of a girlfriend and can't help but to let out another breath of ease.
not only has she helped bring him to serenity in this night of his haunted dream,
but has also relieved him of a life full of sorrow.
where would he be without her?
rafe doesn't want to know and hopes he never has to find out.
"hey,"
he begins softly.
y/n brings her attention back to him in wait for his next words.
"i love you. don't ever doubt that."
"i won't 'cause i love you just as much, rafe."
the boy brings y/n in closer until their lips meet to indulge into a simple, short, but always so sweet kiss.
when they pull back,
now smiling widely,
y/n asks,
"are you about to leave? now that you know nothing horrible has happened to me?"
"is that what you'd like?"
y/n takes the entirety of rafe's hand into her own then gives him a grin.
"well...i'd hate for you to have come all this way just to leave so soon."
"you're considerate,"
he teases back.
y/n and rafe soon pile into her bed,
where they hold each other close and revel in the joy of their love.
how fulfilling and beautiful it is.
rafe kisses y/n's cheek then whispers another confession of love before resting to sleep in her arms.
she lets her hands rake through the hair of this overtly exhausted boy and waits until he's practically snoring before she allows her eyes to close.
but just before she does,
y/n whispers one last quiet vow in hopes of warding away anymore possible nightmares,
"goodnight, rafe. i love you forever and a day."