🌹 9 🌹

(Mingi pov)

Life was good in the castle. Hongjoong didn't get lost anymore, unless he wanted to wander around and then got lost on purpose just so he could call Mingi.

Mingi on the other hand felt like he was shining and sparkling the whole time. He felt... something that made him feel warm.

That something came always when Mingi saw the cute man with white hair.

Mingi hoped it was happiness. He so wanted it to be one...

But he didn't want to get his hopes up. Vampires didn't feel anything other than negative emotions and even those were limited to only anger, hunger or depression combined with boredom.

Vampires didn't feel happiness. They shouldn't even know about it! And they definitely shouldn't wish for one.

So why was Mingi willing to feel it? Why was he trying to feel it?

And why on earth was Mingi hoping for Hongjoong to be happy?

They were polar opposites. Hongjoong was human, he was alive and would die eventually. He had limited time.

Mingi was a vampire, he wasn't either dead nor alive and he would never disappear from this world. He had unlimited time, power and money.

Vampires killed humans. Humans were scared of vampires and tried to avoid them at all costs.

How was it possible then that Hongjoong and Mingi have lived together, spent every day together, sometimes slept together, and that all for nearly four months?

That was what Mingi wondered every day when his mind wasn't occupied by Hongjoong. And every time he came to the same answer.

Neither him or Hongjoong were normal in their world. They were the absolute opposites of their nations. Hongjoong wasn't coldhearted, selfish and money chasing idiot, and Mingi wasn't heartless, blood thirsty beast from the depths of hell.

And if they didn't fit the stereotypes, then why should they follow the rules?

That made sense, right?

🌹🌹🌹

"Mingi! Look at these roses! They are still fresh and strong even though it's the middle of autumn. How's that possible?"

Mingi smiled at the smaller man huddled in one of his favourite coats. It was way too big for him and he was drowning in it, but he looked adorable. He even seemed tinier than usually.

And right now he was sniffing one of the rose bushes which was still in full bloom, just like Hongjoong said.

"It's vampire magic."

Hongjoong froze in his place next to the bush. He stared at Mingi with wide chocolate eyes, not saying a thing.

Mingi walked to the stunned man, picked a rose from the bush and put it behind Hongjoong's ear. It happened to be light pink and it fit him perfectly.

"Haven't you noticed how the roses we picked for your room back in summer haven't aged at all?"

Hongjoong nodded hesitantly, still staring at Mingi in disbelief.

"Yeah, I did. But I just didn't think much of it... So you can make flowers immortal? Vampires do that?"

Mingi laughed and pulled Hongjoong up from the ground.

The smaller man immediately hugged him. The two walked forward on the marble paths while Mingi explained.

"I actually don't know if other vampires do it. I think that they don't do that, since I'd probably be considered a softie when it comes to being a vampire... Nevertheless, I found out that I can keep flowers alive even through the winter if I pay attention to them."

"What if you don't?"

"They'll die eventually. Even though they could live, they can't. They feel like they don't have a reason to live and they just... dry."

Hongjoong hummed. He didn't say anything but Mingi knew he was in his thoughts, probably trying to understand.

The two walked in comfortable silence, holding hands and looking at the wonders Mingi's garden offered.

The bright red maple leaves brought some life to this place, along with the pretty rose blooms and yellow birch leaves.

The sight was beautiful, and Mingi couldn't help but compare it to the man walking next to him.

The overall feel in the garden was cold, just like Hongjoong sometimes looked back when Mingi didn't know him that well. Hongjoong was pretty serious, even while he was talking about something he loved. It could be the hair, white was the color of snow and ice and seemed cold and empty.

But in reality, the colors of the garden were warm and bright, not giving anything else but positivity and, for Hongjoong, happiness.

Hongjoong was the same when Mingi got to know him better. He was bright, he loved colors, and he was extremely optimistic. He was warm and welcoming and accepted Mingi for who he was.

"Mingi? Do vampires feel love?"

And sometimes he asked questions that left Mingi's mind completely blank, because he simply had no clue how and what to answer.

"Love?", the vampire asked, glancing at the shorter man.

"Love. Do you feel love?"

What was he supposed to answer? How would Hongjoong react if he said he didn't feel anything?

Did Hongjoong even mean love as the love from romance novels or was there some other kind he didn't have a clue about?

"I-, I mean, kinda yes but... not exactly?", he stuttered, looking at Hongjoong to see his reaction.

It wasn't what he expected.

Mingi was prepared for everything. Running away, screaming, visible confusion about his answer or just silent nod if acceptance...

But he certainly wasn't ready for Hongjoong asking him another question.

"Is it because you aren't able to feel or just don't know how to feel?"

Where did Hongjoong take these questions? And why was Mingi zoning out just from listening to that high pitched voice of his?

"I, I don't know... It's like, the first thing I was taught was that love doesn't exist so I can't feel it, which sounds logical considering I wanted to get turned because of unsuccessful love.... "

Shit! He wasn't supposed to say that!

Damnit Mingi,

"Forget that! Generally, vampires probably can't feel love, or maybe they don't want to feel love, I don't know since last time I saw another vampire was like 490 years ago and don't remember anything. Or it's that they feel but don't recognize? "

He looked at Hongjoong, who was listening to him carefully, in hopes that the other understood and would change the topic.

But no, Hongjoong had another question.

"Do you want to feel love?"

Mingi stopped walking. He stared at the man with white hair who was looking up at him with the beautiful brown eyes of his.

You could say Mingi's brain stopped functioning at that second, because Hongjoong was way too handsome and made Mingi's head go "whooosh" and his whole body go semi limp.

The vampire didn't know how to react. He didn't know how to answer.

Did he want to feel love?