- 10 -

"Did you take my jacket just for us to swap clothes?" Norman asked over his cup of coffee, waiting for it to cool down enough to drink. The man across from him nodded with an amused grin, shrugging. It was almost a dropped conversation but quickly realized he had a chance to compliment Ethan back in return. "You look handsome with the jacket on."

The architect blinked in surprise, his cheeks going pink. A small, shy grin spread across his face, obviously trying to think of a comeback and couldn't think of anything. Ethan eventually managed to collect himself more, clearing his throat and acting like he still wasn't blushing heavily now. "Thanks, Norm," Ethan sounded flustered, but didn't show it anymore than just a blush and his voice.
Norman was surprised by the reaction, but couldn't help but smile at it. Yet again, the reaction was one he never saw, but it was still one that was adorable.

He quickly looked away upon realizing that he was staring, looking over his menu. He had absolutely no idea what to order, barely even paying attention to what he was reading. His mind was wandering, jumping from thought to thought, occasionally looking away from the menu to look at the man across from him. He knew everything the man had been through and would continue feeling yet the architect looked in control of his life. But of course, Norman wouldn't know if that was the case. He full well knew that looking in control was different from being in control. Considering that he had been going through withdrawal whilst investigating the Oragami Killer and nobody noticed, looking out together made a difference.

"I'm sorry for keeping you away from home for more than one day," Norman mumbled, giving up on looking at the menu for now. He'd pick the first meal when the waiter came to take their order. He looked back at Ethan, taking a small sip of the coffee. It was better than the cheap coffee from work, home, or a police station...but yet it tasted absolutely horrible. The agent would never understand why his taste buds rewired like that upon becoming a profiler. Ethan raised a brow, crossing his arms. The sleeves of Norman's jacket looked tight on the man's arm, obviously making the jacket a bit too small for the architect.

"It's fine, I've already explained that I might be away for a couple days." He paused before continuing his answer. "I said I'd be picking up a friend from the airport out of state."
Norman relaxed, giving a slight nod. At least the statement was half true. If only he actually was being picked up at an airport, though that would've never happened due to how work was. He meant to do a surprise visit but never could get a weekend to do so. Apparently being the only agent without using ARI meant that he had to give advice to new agents.
It was annoying, but at least it could be the same garbage spewed out with a half hearted tone.

"How have you and Madison been?" Norman asked, leaning back in his seat. The last he heard from Ethan, everything was going great for the new couple. He doubted that something drastic could've happened within the almost entire month that contact wasn't made, but he also didn't know what relationships were like either. After two minutes of silence, he looked at Ethan's face. Hesitation, uncertainty, and a small look of sadness. Immediately, Norman wished he could take back the question. "You don't need to answer that if you don't-"

Ethan cut the agent off from finishing the rushed sentence, shaking his head. "No, it's fine. I'm comfortable answering," he murmured, clearing his throat. He obviously was thinking about how to answer, wording it in his head. Norman didn't notice he was holding his breath until the need to breath became apparent.

"We broke up."