- 22 -

The question caused the architect to pause, his coffee cup resting on his lower lip. He didn't seem to be thinking too hard about his answer, setting the cup down and wincing, obviously due to the heat of the coffee. "The same reason I came here, to pick up a friend." Ethan answered, not seeming to mind repeating the answer he gave just yesterday. "Granted, I may have to change it to 'a friend who needs to live with us for an unknown period of time', but..."

Norman nodded, realizing that it'd be unfair to make that period of time very long. Invading in the Mars' life wasn't what he wanted to do, already doing so enough with Ethan. "How are you so willing to offer your bed and home to me?" He asked, his tone betraying him by revealing confusion. He understood the home part completely, but not the bed part. Yet asking that alone sounded weird in his head.

"You saved my life and my son, and you'd call and talk to me in a truly helpful way." Ethan had this soft look in his eyes; a calm ocean, one breaking the law of nature and not having a single wave. The look didn't seem to have a specific emotion attached but multiple...yet all still unreadable. "You're my friend, Norm." The architect was pouring his heart and soul into the answer, eyes lit with pure hearted honesty. Every word was true and it seemed like nothing would change that.

Processing what was said felt like a rush. So many different emotions passed through Norman, all of which making a smile spread across his face. "I'm glad to be your friend," he murmured in response, nearly melting on the spot at the smile he was given in return. Ethan was like the brightest stars in the sky were joined together into a human being. Even if he had his flaws, that didn't change a single thing about the bright eyes and bright smile.

Nor did it change the fact that at that moment, in the small hotel dining area that morning, Norman really wanted to kiss the other man.