- 24 -

Norman sat down with an awkward smile. He wondered if that smile was a signature feature of himself. Ethan looked up from his phone, most likely texting his family. A small plate sat in front the ex-agent's seat. Upon a closer look, the plate was mini chocolate muffins and donuts piled ontop of a cinnamon roll. He raised a brow and looked at the architect. "Mars, you already bought me a shit ton of sugar. I don't need any more."
He didn't want to admit that the action made his heart fall deeper in the feelings he didn't want, or to admit that the only sweets he wanted were kisses anywhere on his body.

"Think of it as an apology for, er, earlier," the man shrugged, laughing a bit. The ex-agent had almost forgotten about the morning, heart jumping at the memory. He managed a small, awkward chuckle, grabbing a napkin to prevent sticky fingers from any glaze on his surprise second breakfast. Maybe constantly reminding himself that Ethan was just a friend would help erase the feelings. He doubted it but would rather hold onto a fake hope than hopeless feelings.

"Apology accepted," Norman murmured, carefully picking up a small donut to bite into, chocolate dust coating his upper lip. Thankfully, he had a napkin nearby to wipe it away, noticing for half a second that Ethan had been looking at his lips. He assumed it was because of the crumbs and coating on said lips. Yet the hopeless romantic part of him felt hope. Overthinking the smallest action and turning it into hope and romance. Daydreams could spark from those thoughts if he wanted to.

Norman managed to sneak the remaining treats away, not wanting to waste them or time. Packing the clothes that was bought for him in the trunk and keeping the snacks with him, being on the road again felt long awaited. The highway looked endless, cars and trees blurring. The radio played quietly in the background. The car was silent, which felt relaxing. Silence allowed time to think and try to rewrite his own damned heart.

Until the pouring rain started gushing down like the world would end, so bad that it was hard to see and Ethan had to pull into the first hotel that could be seen. It was cold and harsh rain, hitting the ground like bullets. Norman gladly took shelter with Ethan under an umbrella, not wanting to know what the rain would even feel like on his nearly bare shoulders. He shivered at the thought of being soaking wet without a jacket or even full sleeves. Rain leaked through the jacket above his head but didn't hit as hard as it sounded. The wind picked up just as Norman managed to get the door open. Ethan tried to keep his jacket from dripping so hard before entering, leaving the ex-agent to get a room for them.

"We, uh, need a room. Double beds, please." Norman smiled his signature awkward smile at the receptionist. The woman checked to see if any rooms were available, giving an apologetic manner. The ex-agent raised a brow at the look, his heart sinking at the thought of having to drive in the rain again to find a new hotel.

"I'm sorry sir, we only have single bed rooms. We can provide a futon if you want!"