Goodbye, Mr. Flower Thief (M x Ale)

Pairing - Mattia x Alejandro (malejandro, again)
Category - bittersweet
POV - Alejandro
A/N - wow I really like making Ale suffer huh. Anyways I listened to a song I haven't listened to in a while (https://youtu.be/SKE9-PIdJfQ it's called Goodbye, Ms. Flower Thief) and this kinda came out. I'm currently working on requests, don't worry! <3

╔═════════════════╗
"𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕟𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕥."
╚═════════════════╝

╔═════════════════╗"𝔹𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕞𝕪 𝕗𝕝𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕗

╔═════════════════╗
"𝔹𝕖𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕞𝕪 𝕗𝕝𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕖𝕗."
╚═════════════════╝

We danced in the light of the campfire, laughing and singing in poor voices. I couldn't stop staring at the way it illuminated his skin. Dim light suited him.

"Do you really have to go?"
"I do. I have school."
"Can't you stay here? Go to school here?"
"I have my parents and brother."
"But what about me?"
"I'll see you again, one day, Mattia."

We ran along the shore, shouting and laughing. That's what we did a lot. Laughing. Our relationship was almost entirely the "honeymoon" phase, with an abrupt end.

I stared at the picture absently. At this point I was certain I had lost him forever. Although, perhaps that was good. Perhaps I could only truly be happy alone. It seems whoever I get attached to leaves at some point.

Then there were the steamier moments. I lost my innocence to him. Who I thought was the love of my life. I was foolish, thinking we could magically be together forever. That we could be happy forever. But the image of him hovering over me, the thought of him inside me, taking over my body. It was just too tempting.

I never thought I would just run out of happiness. But here we are. In college, chasing a passionless career, with my only friends living halfway across the country. We video called sometimes. Alvaro got a new roommate. Apparently he hated him.

I couldn't get the image of him out of my mind. The way his hand would rest on his chin like he was bored, the way his face would light up and the same hand would dance across my jaw. He was like an angel. He stole my breath away each time our lips touched.

Absently Alvaro and I were chatting as he sat in the living room of his dorm. I heard the door creek open, and Alvaro let out a dissatisfied huff. "Hey, I should go. My roommates home."

The night I left he gave me a fake flower. He said it was the only one that wouldn't wilt, just like his love for me. At the time it was so romantic. Now it was just ironic. The flower was unfortunately rather cheap, and after a couple years all the petals fell off.

"Naw, shoot! Lemme see your friend!" The voice boomed playfully. Like a big puppy that just didn't have a grasp on his big it really was.

Our kisses were magical. They stole my breath away each time. I would stare at him afterward, taking in his seemingly perfect features, looking for just one flaw. I could never find one.

Alvaro jumped slightly as the body fell next to his. His roommate leaned over into the camera, a smooth, innocent face that was all too familiar looking back at me with those big brown puppy eyes.

I dug my feet into the sand, alongside his. I closed my eyes and focused on the way the soft grains moved under my toes, the few tumbling over and the slight dampness of the not quite dried ones underneath. A big hand fell into mine, squeezing four times. Do you love me? I squeezed back thrice. Yes I do. Twice. How much? I squeezed as hard as I could. I could pretty much feel the smile on his face without even looking.

"Alejandro?"
"Mattia?"

I remember the bracelet he gave me never left my wrist that first month. After the third I had lost it, and I never bothered to look too hard. It was just a painful reminder of what I no longer had.

On that first date he gave me a new flower. A more expensive one. That would really never wilt. Because I had caught my flower thief.

———

A/N II - I thought I should explain this a bit better, since it's a little confusing. Mattia lives by a shore of some kind that Alejandro's family visits for the summer one year. They fall in love, obviously, but it all had to end. The last part where they find each other again isn't in the song but I can't write angst without a happy ending bc it makes my heart hurt <3