Part One / Chapter Four

Two Weeks Later

"What do you mean you've never seen High School Musical?" Josh asks Sky with disgust. "I thought you liked Disney movies. Shame on you. You shouldn't call yourself a Disney fan if you haven't even seen one of the classics, right, Ben?" Josh looks at me. "Ben? Hello?"

I look up from my phone. "What?"

Josh sighs. "If you're going to be part of the conversation, please put your phone down, Benjamin."

"Sorry. What was the question?"

"He was saying I can't be a Disney fan if I haven't seen High School Musical," Sky explains. "Which is stupid. It's not even a Disney movie, it's a Disney Channel movie!"

"That still counts!" Josh exclaims. "Ben! Back me up!"

"Actually, I haven't seen it, either," I admit.

Josh's jaw drops as he turns to me. "You what? You should both be ashamed of yourselves! You know what, tonight, after the show, we're watching it."

"Speaking of the show, we should probably be getting in costume soon," Sky points out, holding up the time on his phone. "Show time's soon."

With a scoff, Josh stands up. "Don't think I won't forget about this. As soon as we get out of here, we're watching it!"

~ * ~ * ~

"What I don't get is why Ryan and Sharpay sing duets like that," Sky says. "I mean, they have romantic undertones. That's just gross."

"Don't ruin this movie for me, Skyler," Josh says pointedly.

"No, Sky isn't wrong. It is kind of gross," I point out. Before I get pulled further into the argument, my phone buzzes.

"Ooo, is that Marlee?" Sky asks like a second grader, grinning. "She's pretty, isn't she? I think so. And you should have seen the way she looked at you, Benji."

"Yeah." Josh smirks. "You should ask her out."

"You've said that already. Actually, you've both said that tons of times since we met. I would appreciate it if you would shut up," I say.

"We can't. We're your friends." Sky crosses his arms.

A look comes over Josh's face, as if he's had an epiphany. "Okay, Benjamin. We'll shut up if you ask Marlee out on a date," he proposes. Sky nods enthusiastically.

"What is wrong with you two?"

"You're blushing," Sky says with a smirk.

I sigh. "If I ask her out, will you please stop bugging me about it?" My friends nod. "Fine. I'll ask her out." I pick up my phone and begin writing a text.

Marlee Jane Granger

<< Hey. I'm off this
Thursday night.
Would you want to
go do something? >>

Josh and Sky look over my shoulder as I type. "That's lame," Sky complains. "That's really how you're going to ask her out?"

"I already sent it, so I can't change it now," I say with a small shrug.

Josh groans. "I can't believe you, Benjamin. You have got to be better than that. Be romantic, for once in your life." Before he can continue, my phone lights up with a response.

<< Yeah, sure. Noelle and
I are free. What time
were you thinking? >>

My friends groan. "You have got to be kidding me," Josh says. "I told you that you have to be better than that. Good luck sorting that one out without being awkward." He pats me on the shoulder and stands up, convincing Sky to leave the room with him. I sigh and turn back to my phone.

Marlee Jane Granger

<< Actually, I was
thinking it would be
just you and me. >>

<< If you're okay with that. >>

<< Like a date? >>

<< Yeah, like a date. >>

<< Sounds like fun! >>

<< Cool. >>
<< I'll pick you up at 8:30? >>

<< That works. See you then. >>