Part Three / Chapter Four

I feel like I've said this before, but if I have a double update two days in a row, does that make it a double double update?
Anyway, I'm putting my note before the chapter to say that I have a song included in the chapter. And I was experimenting with how to write the lyrics, since multiple people sing it. So the format's a little different. Just so you know.
Enjoy! :)

~~~~~

Taking a deep breath, I open the door of the August Wilson Theater, stepping inside. I'm earlier than I need to be, but I really want to make a good first impression. As I make my way down the halls to the rehearsal room, I can already hear voices. I smile to myself as I enter the room. There are three people already there, and a blonde girl is the first to step over to me.

"Good morning," she says, a friendly smile on her face.

"Good morning to you, too." I return her smile. "I'm Marlee, nice to meet you."

"Oh, you're playing Gretchen, right?" The girl asks. "I'm Taylor, it's nice to meet you, Marlee. I play Regina."

Another girl walks over to Taylor and I. "I'm Erika," she says as I shake her outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you." Erika turns to the guy behind her. "And this is Kyle."

"Hey." Kyle smiles at me and gives me a wave.

"Who do you two play?" I ask curiously, even though I'm fairly certain I know the answer.

"I play Aaron Samuels," Kyle says.

"And I'm Cady!" Erika smiles. "I am so excited to be working with you. I saw you in Newsies, you were a really good Katherine."

"Thank you." I smile at Erika. I think I'm going to get along with my new castmates just fine. Before long, there's a small group gathered in the room. Everyone has made their introductions, and we wait until our director shows up.

"Alright, people!" The director, Casey Nicholaw, calls as he enters the room. "I see you've all met each other. I asked you all to come in before the ensemble so we can just run through some of the songs. So, first, I want to run Meet the Plastics, okay? That means I need Taylor, Marlee, Kate, Erika, Grey, and Barrett by the piano, please!"

I follow his instructions, migrating with the rest of the group to the piano. The accompanist begins the intro, and Grey starts off by singing his part. When Taylor begins to sing Regina's part, my jaw almost drops. She has a beautiful voice, and she's perfect for the role.

Before I know it, it's my turn. I can't help but smile as I prepare to sing, this is one of my favorite songs. I love the change in tempo, and the rhythm of the part. I listen to Grey and Barrett as they introduce Gretchen.

Barrett glances at me as she says her line. "That's Gretchen Weiners. She knows everything about everybody."

Grey continues, "That's why her hair's so big. It's full of secrets."

I smile as he says one of my favorite lines from the movie. My turn. I take a deep breath, knowing the part is fast.

    Yes, Regina
     No, Regina
     Every waking hour
     I spend making sure Regina George can   
     stay
     in power
     If Regina is the sun,
     Then I'm a disco ball
     'Cause I'm just as bright and fun
     If you've had alcohol
     I worm your secrets out of you and bring
     them to my master
     And then I watch Regina make your life a
     big disaster
     Regina is the queen,
     But I'm the head of worker bees
     As I am seated at her right hand
     Like a Jewish princess Jesus

The music slows as Barrett and Grey introduce Karen, one of my favorite characters in the movie. I let out a soft laugh at her part. Kate is perfect for the role. We move on with the song:

[REGINA]:
Right,
We never really do this
But how'd you like to have lunch with us this week?

[CADY]:
Oh, it's okay

[REGINA]:
No,
No need for you to thank us

[CADY]:
But-

[REGINA]:
There's no need to even speak

[GRETCHEN]:
You're new, and you don't know things
You need good friends who can tell you what to think
See you here, same time, tomorrow

[KAREN]:
On Wednesdays we wear pink!

We repeat Karen's line with the three of us together, and then break up into overlapping parts. We come back together as the song changes tune to sound like the song before it.

[REGINA, GRETCHEN and KAREN]
Wear something nice and grab a tray!
'Cause we don't do this everyday!
Say, here's where you belong!
Say, say, say, here's where you belong!

[REGINA]
No, really. Say it.

[REGINA, GRETCHEN, KAREN, and CADY]
Here's where you (I) belong!

[GRETCHEN]
Come sit with us tomorrow
It'll be fetch!

The song ends, and I sigh. Wow. We sound pretty good. The few cast members behind us applaud, and Casey requests a run-through of a few more songs before the ensemble arrives.

As it turns out, Casey planned for our first rehearsal as a meet-and-greet of sorts. He tells us before the ensemble arrives that we won't be running through many of the numbers, since each song and each scene need to be worked on individually. The few hours we have left are for getting to know one another and running through lines.

I sit with Erika and Taylor while we wait for the rest of the ensemble to show up. About half of them are here. We sit on the floor, just chatting and getting to know one another. I drink out of my water bottle as I listen to the conversation.

I glance over at the door as someone walks in. When I see who it is, however, I begin to choke on my water.

"Are you okay?" Erika asks quickly, concerned as I keep coughing.

"Y-yeah," I reply once I can speak. "I...I'll be back." I stand up and quickly leave the room. This can't be happening. I finally compose myself enough to walk back into the rehearsal room, hoping I just mistook who I saw. But once I reenter the room, it's clear that I saw who I thought I did. Ben Tyler Cook is part of the ensemble.