Part One / Chapter Seven

One Week Later

Ben's POV
I come into the kitchen of my apartment when Josh calls my name. "Can you get the salad dressing out of the fridge?" He asks as he prepares the salad itself. "I underestimated how long it would take to get everything at the store." I open the fridge, grab the bottle of salad dressing, and place it next to the large salad bowl. "Thanks, Ben." Josh finishes putting everything in the bowl, puts a lid on it, and takes a breath. "Okay. Let's go."

We leave the apartment with the salad and get in the car. "Faster, Benji. We still have to pick up Sky, and no one knows how long it'll take him to do his hair," Josh urges as I drive down the street.

After waiting several minutes for Sky, the three of us are on our way to Marlee and Noelle's apartment. Since Josh carries the salad and Sky carries the bread, I knock on the door.

Noelle answers. "Hi! Come on in!" She says cheerfully. The three of us enter. "Marlee!" Noelle calls. "They're here!" With that, she takes Josh and Sky into the kitchen, leaving me.

Marlee appears from the small hallway that I assume leads to their bedrooms. "Hey," she says with a smile. Glancing into the kitchen, she says, "I think Noelle has enough help. Let's go sit down." I follow her to the couch.

"Not that I don't enjoy being with you and Noelle," I start as we sit, "but why are we here again?"

"Noelle's been dying to cook a lasagna, but she likes to make them big," Marlee explains.

Sky comes in. "They kicked me out of the kitchen." He sits on the end of the couch with a huff. Marlee looks like she's trying to keep from laughing. "Apparently it's not big enough to have three people in it."

"Well, it is kind of small," Marlee says.

Sky just shrugs. After a second, he looks at me, then at Marlee. "You know what?" He throws me a grin. "I think I'll go find something else to do. Or somewhere else to go." He gets up, leaving Marlee and I alone.

"Oh, and we invited you because I have news," Marlee says suddenly, holding back a smile.

"What news?" I ask.

"You'll see. I want to tell everyone at the same time. Noelle already knows. She's the one who suggested we invite you over." She's practically bouncing up and down with excitement. "But you'll just have to wait."

"We won't have to wait long," Sky interrupts. "The food's on the table."

Marlee gets up, and I follow her to the table, where Josh and Noelle are setting things out. We sit and eat. After a while, everyone is full and most of the lasagna has been eaten.

"So, what's your news?" Josh asks Marlee once we've reached a lull in the conversation. Sky nods enthusiastically.

"Right." Marlee nods with a growing smile. "So. Ben told me about Stephanie Styles having to leave the tour. I thought it over, got in contact with Mr. Calhoun, and I have an audition tomorrow afternoon at four thirty," she announces.

"What? That's amazing!" I exclaim as Sky and Josh say similar things. Marlee smiles proudly.

"We're proud of you, girl," Noelle says, gently nudging her roommate and smiling.

"And we'll be there tomorrow for support," Josh decides for the group. "You're gonna do great, Marlee!"

"Thanks, guys." Marlee's smile slowly turns shy from all of the support.

Josh claps once. "And thank you, Noelle for the food. It was really good." Sky and Ben nod in agreement.

"To round out the night, we're going to watch a movie!" Noelle announces. "Any suggestions?"

"The Lion King!" Sky suggests immediately.

"Yes! I second the motion," Josh says happily. Marlee glances at me, and I just shrug.

Noelle laughs softly. "Okay, then we'll watch The Lion King. But, only after we clean up." At that, Sky and Josh hurriedly stand and race each other to take their plates to the kitchen. Marlee, Noelle, and I follow them.

The kitchen is cleaned in record time, and an excited Sky is the first to leave, headed straight for the couch. Once everyone is settled, Noelle starts the movie.

Josh throws me a sly grin as I sit next to Marlee, and I tense slightly. When it comes to the part where Mufasa dies, I don't think there's a dry eye in the room. When Marlee sniffs softly, I glance at her.

You okay? I mouth, and she nods. I quietly slip an arm around her shoulders, and I can't help but smile slightly. It's something to help ease the pain of Mufasa's death.