Part Two / Chapter Ten

A smile comes over my face when we pull in the driveway. It's been too long since I've been home. Connor parks the car. "Looks like Asia's here already," he comments, referring to the extra car in the driveway. "She's early, for once," he grumbles. I sigh, opening the door and getting out.

Ben looks nervous as he gets out of the car, carrying the bread. "You good?" I ask softly.

"Yeah." He nods. "Just a little nervous."

I smile slightly. "Remember what you told me when I met your mom and Emma? They're going to love you because I love you." I give him a reassuring smile. He nods again, taking a breath. "Don't worry, you've got this," I tell him as we walk up the front steps. I pull open the front door and walk through the house to the kitchen. I hear voices coming from the living room. I place the bread on the counter.

"Oh my gosh," I hear Ben comment behind me. I look over, and he's being tackled by my parents' dog.

"Jack! Down, boy!" I command, trying not to laugh.

"No, don't tell him to get down." Ben actually giggles as he pets the dog. "He's so cute."

"I'm glad he's taken a liking to you, but we need to go and interact with my human family." I grin.

"Do we have to?" Ben glances up at me from his spot on the floor.

"Yes, we have to," I reply. He reluctantly stands up, brushes himself off, and follows me into the living room. I lean against the wall at the entry to the room. "What does a girl have to do to get a welcome party around here?" I ask, smiling as my family turns to me. The room erupts with greetings, and my sister Asia is the first to reach me.

"I haven't seen you in forever!" She says happily.

My parents step over, each hugging me. My dad spots Ben, who is saying hello to Adrienne. "I don't believe we've met," my dad says.

Ben smiles. "I don't think we have. I'm Ben." He shakes my father's outstretched hand. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Granger."

My mom's face lights up. "Ben! It's so nice to meet you!" She gives him a quick hug. "I've heard so much about you, mostly from Adrienne, which is kind of weird considering you're dating my other daughter."

Before I'm able to reply to my mom's pointed comment, my phone rings: Sky. I excuse myself to the kitchen, giving Ben a subtle thumbs-up on my way. "Where are you?" I ask into the phone.

"Where are we? Where are you?" He replies.

"We're at the house."

"What?" He shouts. "You left us?"

I sigh. "Sky, I told you that if you weren't ready in time, we'd leave without you."

"I thought you were going to wait in the lobby! Now Josh and I are going to have to find a ride."

"Get an Uber," I instruct, smiling. "I'll text you the address, it's not far."

"I still can't believe you, Marlee," Sky grumbles. "We'll be there soon. Don't you dare start eating without us, not after all this emotional trauma you've put us through." With that, he ends the call.

"Everything okay?" My mom asks as I reenter the living room.

"Everything's fine. Sky and Josh, my friends from tour, are just running a little late," I explain. "They request we wait for them to get here before we eat."

"I think we can do that." My mom nods. "Now, come, sit down." She ushers Ben and I to the couch, wanting to hear more about the tour.

~ * ~ * ~

Ben's POV
Marlee had been right about her mom's mac and cheese, it was delicious. Once Sky and Josh arrived and everyone had eaten, they break up into smaller groups. Mr. Granger, Connor, and Asia gravitate back to the living room to turn on a football game. Josh, Sky, and Adrienne play outside with the dog. Mrs. Granger and Holly stay in the dining room to talk, leaving Marlee and I in the kitchen to make a batch of cookies.

"How come I've never had your so-called famous cookies?" I question, helping Marlee get out the ingredients.

"I don't know," she replies nonchalantly. "I've only made them once in the apartment." As soon as everything is out, she instructs, "The butter needs to be melted."

I obey, putting it in the microwave as she estimates the amount of sugars needed. When the microwave beeps, I remove the butter and pour it into the mixing bowl.

"Wait, Ben!" Marlee tries to stop me, but it's too late. "It was supposed to cool. Let's just hope that doesn't change the dough drastically."

"Sorry," I mumble. "I won't do anything without your permission from now on." That earns a smile from her as she switches on the electric mixer, blending the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. While the eggs, vanilla, and her 'secret ingredient' are added, Marlee asks me to measure out the flour in a different bowl. I smile to myself as I open the bag of flour, measuring out some, then flinging some at her.

Her eyes widen and she laughs in disbelief. "Benjamin Tyler! You did not just get flour in my hair!" Marlee then grabs some of the flour I measured and tosses it back at me, the majority of it falling on my shirt.

"You're going to regret that!" I begin to chase her around the kitchen island, laughing. In an attempt to get away from me, Marlee darts out of the kitchen and into the backyard with me on her heels. She weaves around Josh, Sky, and Adrienne, who are taken off guard by the sudden chase. She finally runs back inside, and I catch up with her back in the kitchen. When I wrap my arms around her to keep her from running, Marlee lets out a soft squeal.

"Let me go!" She twists to get away from me, but I keep holding her tightly.

"Under one condition."

"Which is?"

"You let me throw one more handful of flour. Oh, and I get a kiss." I grin, and Marlee sighs. "Come on, 'it's a compromise we can all live with'," I say, quoting a line from the show.

"Fine. Deal." She turns around and gives me a quick kiss. "Now get the flour over with."   

~ * ~ * ~

Finally, the cookies go in the oven. While we wait, Marlee goes to join the conversation with her mom. I wander to the living room, where the football game has reached halftime.
Mr. Granger looks up when I enter the room. "Oh, good. Why don't you and I step out front and have a talk, Ben?"

I nod, but it's not like I have a choice. I want Marlee's dad to like me, but I'm a little afraid of what may be coming. I follow him out the front door.

"Have a seat, son." Mr. Granger sits down on one of two chairs at a small table. "Let me ask you a few questions." I take a deep breath as he begins. Here we go. "What exactly are your intentions with my daughter? Do you plan for this to be a serious relationship?"

"Yes, sir," I answer with a nod. "I do want it to be serious."

"But what are your intentions? Where are you wanting this to go?"

"We've had quick discussions here and there about the future, but nothing serious yet. However," my cheeks begin to grow warm, "with your permission, I intend to one day marry your daughter."

Mr. Granger nods slowly. "Do you love Marlee, Ben?"

"Yes, sir, I do, more than anything. I find myself more in love with her each day that passes."

Marlee's dad is quiet for a few moments, thinking over my answer. He finally says, "I like you, Ben. I do. You're a good kid. And I can tell that my daughter is very much in love with you. That said, if you ever do anything to hurt her, whether intentional or not, I'll be coming after you. Take care of her, she's a good girl."

I nod in agreement. If I do anything to hurt Marlee, I'll never forgive myself. All I can do is hope she feels the same way.

~~~~~
yay for semi-long chapters!
I love this chapter a lot. It's cute. thanks for reading!!! vote and comment :)