Part Two / Chapter Thirteen

Six Months Later

Marlee's  POV
Working on Wicked has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I've made tons of new friends and so many important connections. If someone had told me a year ago that I'd be on my second Broadway role, I would have said they were out of their mind. I've moved back in with Noelle, who was ecstatic about my new role. It's been hard keeping in touch with Ben. We're still together, but we don't talk nearly as much as we'd like to.

I finally arrive home after the longest two-show-day that I've ever been through. Noelle is in bed already, so I tread through the apartment lightly. I take a fast shower, eager to wash off the exhaustion of the day. My phone lights up with a notification as I change into my pajamas.

Benji

<< Are you still up? >>

<< Yeah >>

<< Can I call you? >>

I sigh, glancing at the clock. I'm tempted to say no and to tell him that I'm going to bed. However, I haven't spoken to him in a week and a half, other than on text. I miss seeing his face and hearing his voice.

<< Sure >>

A minute later, my phone buzzes with Ben's FaceTime call. I sit down on my bed and press the button to accept the call. I smile as soon as his face appears on my screen.

"Hey," I say, trying to hide the fatigue in my voice.

"Hey." He smiles. "How's New York?"

"Oh, you know." I shrug. "Same old, same old. What's up?"

"What, I can't call just to talk to you?" He grins. "Why do you assume I have something in particular to tell you?"

"Because, Benji, it's one thirty in the morning. If you didn't have news, the call would have waited until morning."

"Fine. You caught me," he admits. "I do have some news, and I think you're going to like it."

"Well? What is it?"

"I'm leaving tour."

My eyebrows raise. "You're leaving? Why? How is that good?"

"They're producing this new musical. Have you ever read Tuck Everlasting?"

I nod. "Yeah, I did when I was a kid. They're making that into a musical?"

He smiles. "They are, and I'm joining the cast. That's not even the best part."

"What's the best part?"

"They're producing it in New York. I'm coming home, Marlee." He smiles widely, and so do I.

"Wait, really?" I ask, shocked. He nods. "Ben! I can't wait! When are you supposed to be here?"

"Two weeks. I got the call last week, but I haven't had the chance to tell you. I didn't want to text it to you. I wanted to talk," he explains.

Tears fill my eyes, and I'm not sure if it's because of happiness or exhaustion. "I guess I'll see you in two weeks, then. In person," I add.

"In person," he agrees. "Now go to bed. You had a two-show-day. You're tired." Before I can ask how he knew, he says, "I do my research. Sleep, MJ. I love you."

I smile slightly. "Love you, too. I'll talk to you later." We say goodbye and hang up. I plug my phone in, switch the light off, and crash as soon as my head hits the pillow.

~~~~~
big time skips yay
also, yeah, I know that's not exactly how Tuck started and everything but just ignore that.
thanks for 2k reads by the way!!! y'all are the best.