Part Two / Chapter Nine

Five Months Later

I knock lightly on the door of the hotel room, waiting for someone to answer. Josh pokes his head out of the door.

"Hey, whatcha' need?" He asks.

I cross my arms. "Why do you assume I need something whenever I come over?"

"Because I know you." He turned to face the room behind him. "Benji, your girl's at the door."

I hear rustling from the room, which I assume is Ben getting up off the bed. He appears behind Josh. "Hi."

"Hey," I say as Josh leaves us. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did." He smiles, pleased with his joke. He steps out into the hallway with me.

"You're hilarious," I say, rolling my eyes playfully. "Actually, I had a different question. I talked to my parents, and they're coming to see the show when we go to Tennessee next week. And, it just so happens that we'll be there over Thanksgiving. So, I was wondering if you'd want to spend Thanksgiving with us." I smile a little, hoping he says yes.

"I'll have to talk to my family about it," he says. "But I'm sure they won't mind if I miss out on one Thanksgiving. Just as long as you don't take me away for Christmas." He gives me a teasing smile.

"Is that a yes?"

"Yes, it's a yes." Ben nods. "I can't wait to meet your family."

"Great!" I smile. "Oh, and I already talked to Sky and Josh. They're coming, too. Apparently Adrienne insisted that they be invited."

The door swings open. "I'm excited! Apparently her mom makes the best mac and cheese!" Josh exclaims. "And I wasn't just listening in on your conversation," he adds slowly. "I'll go now." He quickly shuts the door again.

Ben turns to me. "The best mac and cheese?"

I nod, smiling. "Oh, yeah. It's legendary. My sister-in-law is the only one with the recipe. My mom won't give it to any of us but Holly." Ben laughs. "Anyway," I continue, "I'll see you tomorrow morning, bright and early, on the bus." I kiss his cheek as he goes back inside.

~ * ~ * ~

"I just feel bad about only contributing bread." I sigh. "I mean, it's Thanksgiving. I should have something a little more elaborate."

"Marlee, calm down," Ben says as we wait outside the hotel for my brother to pick us up. "You've been on the road for months, and you don't have a kitchen in your hotel room. I don't know why you're stressing so much about it."

"Because, Ben, Thanksgiving at my house is usually a huge thing. This is the second year I've come from somewhere else, and it's the first time I haven't cooked something," I say. As I'm speaking, a car pulls up to the front door of the hotel. "This is him." I smile as my brother gets out of the car. "Connor!"

"Hey, Mars!" My brother smiles, giving me a hug. "It's been a long time."

"Too long." I smile. "Connor, this is Ben."

"Oh, the boyfriend?" Connor asks, and Ben's smile falters at my brother's tone.

"Chill, Connor," I say, rolling my eyes.

The passenger door opens. "Babe, cut him some slack," my sister-in-law says as she gets out of the car. "It's good to see you, Marlee." She smiles warmly.

My eyes widen when she steps out of the car. "Holly! You're pregnant!"

She laughs at my surprise. "Yeah, I am. She's due in January." Holly smiles brightly. I can't believe Connor didn't tell me that she's pregnant. "Okay, we gotta go, y'all! We don't want to be late." She ducks back in the car, and Connor goes around to the driver's side. Ben and I get in the backseat.

When I glance at Ben, I notice that he's smiling widely. I give him a look that says What?, and he smiles more.

"She said 'y'all.' Unironically," he mumbles under his breath.

"Welcome to Tennessee." I laugh quietly.

~~~~~
I know five months is a big time skip, but whatever.
thanks for reading!!
vote and comment!