Part Two / Chapter Eleven

Six Weeks Later

After my talk with Mr. Granger, I thought about the prospect of marrying Marlee more and more. While I was home for Christmas, I even bought a ring. We're back to touring, since Christmas has passed.

As I sit on my bed, examining the ring, I hear a knock on the door of my hotel room. Marlee. Slipping the ring back in its box and pocketing the container, I stand up to answer the door. She wears a simple black dress and dark red boots with a small heel. She has a coat that almost matches the color of her shoes draped over her arm. She looks beautiful.

"You ready to go?" She asks with a smile.

"Yeah," I smile, stepping out of the hotel room and taking her hand. "Are you hungry?" We begin walking down the hallway to the elevators.

"Considering I skipped lunch, yes. Very hungry." She laughs lightly. "Were you able to get reservations?"

I nod. "I told you I would. Did you doubt me?" I smile.

We leave the hotel and get an Uber to the restaurant. I'd secured a reservation at a nice restaurant in downtown Cincinnati.

"Is something wrong?" Marlee asks me on the way.

"What do you mean?"

"Your leg is bouncing," she points out. "That's a nervous habit of yours."

"I...I didn't even know I was doing that." I force my leg to sit still, but it's nearly impossible. As we climb out of the car, I stick my hand in my pocket, turning the small box over in my hand. I desperately hope that she'll say yes. I'm almost one hundred percent confident that she will, but the pessimistic part of me keeps raising questions in my mind. What if it's too soon? What if she's not ready? What if you never get the chance to ask?

The evening seems to drag on, but before long, we've finished our dinner. I suggest to Marlee that we walk down the street before heading back, and she agrees.

We stroll down the sidewalk, her hand in mine. "Oh," I say, turning to Marlee. "I did some research, and I found this really pretty park not too far from here."

"A park?" Marlee grins. "Of course you found a park. You always find a park."

"What? Is that a bad thing?"

"No." She laughs. "It's just typical Ben. But I love it."

Her laugh, as always, causes me to smile. I take out my phone and pull up directions. "This way."

"Please don't get us lost." She giggles and walks with me.

"Have some faith, MJ." Without getting lost, I guide her to the park. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but there aren't many people there. I guess it's not a popular choice to be outside, at night, in January, in Ohio. Marlee finds a bench and sits down. I keep my hand on the box in my pocket, wondering when would be the right time. Might as well just go for it.

As I open my mouth to speak, Marlee says, "You know what would make this even more perfect?"

"What?" I pray that she can't hear the anxiety in my voice.

"Snow. I can't believe that it hasn't snowed here."

"Yeah." I nod, trying not to sigh. Okay, so that hadn't been the right time. We talk some more, but most of it is just small talk.

"As much as I love this date," Marlee begins, cutting down my courage to speak once again, "I'm freezing my butt off on this metal bench. I think I might be stuck to it." She laughs, completely oblivious to my nervous state. "And this city sketches me out. Why don't we call it a night and head back?"

"Uh, y-yeah." I nod, unable to hide my disappointment this time. "Let's go back."

As I stand, Marlee grabs my hand. "Are you okay? Did I say something?"

I shake my head. "No, don't worry. Now, let's get you inside before you turn into ice." Marlee smiles gratefully as I open the Uber app on my phone.

Within ten minutes, the car arrives, and we're on our way to the hotel, the small box still in my pocket. I walk Marlee to the door of her room.

"Thank you for dinner, Benji." She leans up and kisses my cheek. I smile, but it doesn't feel genuine.

"I'll see you in the morning." I leave once she's inside and walk back to my room, defeated. I guess I'll have to ask another time.