Part One / Chapter Sixteen

By Monday, Adrienne and I have exhausted most of New York's tourist attractions. We decide not to do anything on Monday. I work morning shifts at Noelle's aunt's cafe so I can spend more time with Adrienne. By noon, I arrive back at the apartment Monday morning after work and my sister's still in bed. Noelle is home since she took the day off. She's been picking up extra shifts and she wanted rest.

As I'm making a sandwich for lunch, my phone rings. It's a number I don't recognize, but I answer anyway.

"Hello?" I answer uncertainly.

"Hello, is this Marlee Granger?"

I nod, even though whoever is on the other line can't see me. "Uh, this is. May I ask who's calling?" Adrienne curiously walks in the kitchen, still in her pajamas.

"This is Meghan Schneider calling on behalf of Jeff Calhoun," the woman on the other end says. My eyes widen.

Is it them? Adrienne mouths upon seeing my expression. I nod, and she scrambles to grab Noelle.

"Miss Granger? Are you still there?" Meghan asks,

"Y-yes, I'm here," I say, my heart practically beating out of my chest.

"Right. Miss Granger, I'm calling to congratulate you on getting the role of Katherine Plumber in the second leg of the Newsies tour."

"Th-thank you!" I manage to stammer.

"Rehearsals begin one week from today so you can learn your music, choreography, and your lines. We look forward to seeing you then, Miss Granger."

"Thank you," I say again as the woman hangs up.

"Well?" Noelle asks from behind me.

"I got the part," I whisper in disbelief. "I got the part!"

The kitchen is suddenly full of squealing girls and we jump up and down, thrilled about the news I just recieved.

"Call Ben!" Adrienne shouts.

"Better yet, go down to the theater!" Noelle cheers. "Maybe you can catch him before the show."

I nod, typing in a quick text message to Sky to be on the lookout for me. "I'll be back."

The last thing I hear before closing the apartment door behind me is Noelle calling, "Go get him, girl!"

I hurry to the Nederlander, and Sky meets me outside. "Hey, what's up?" He asks as I arrive at the theater.

"I need to see Ben."

"Then why didn't you text him instead of me?" He asks, confused.

"Because, Sky. I want to surprise him. I got the part." I smile excitedly.

"What?" Sky gives me a hug. "I'm so proud of you, Marlee! That's awesome! Who else knows?"

"Adrienne, Noelle, and now you."

"Hang on, I want to get Josh out here before you tell Ben. He'll be mad if he doesn't know before Ben." He pulls his phone out and calls Josh, telling him to come outside the theater. In less than five minutes, Josh comes outside the theater, a confused expression on his face.

"Hey, guys. What's going on?" He asks.

"Guess what?" I smile. Josh shrugs. "I got the part on tour!"

"Marlee!" Josh shouts, pulling me into a bone-crushing embrace. "I can't believe it! I'm so proud of you! You're going on tour with us!"

I laugh quietly. "I'm not going to be able to go if you squeeze me to death first."

"Oh, sorry," he says, releasing me with an embarrassed laugh. "Wait, have you told Ben yet? Does he even know you're here?" I shake my head. "You should surprise him!"

"That's the plan," Sky says. "She already thought of that."

Josh turns to his friend. "I don't need any of your attitude, Skyler. We have to watch Marlee surprise Ben."

"Actually, guys," I say, causing them to turn back to me. "I think I'd rather surprise him alone. You can wait outside, but I want to talk to him."

Josh huffs and Sky smirks. "Oh, okay," the redhead starts slowly. "I see how it is. In that case, we'll take you right to him. But don't be long, we have to get ready." He glances at his phone. "Oh, yeah, we don't have a lot of time. Come on, hurry." The two usher me inside the theater, leading me to the dressing rooms.

"Benjamin! You have a guest!" Josh calls as he enters the room. Sky stays outside with me.

Ben sticks his head outside the room, smiling. "Oh, hey, Marlee. What are you doing here?" He steps outside as Sky walks inside the dressing room.

"I came to tell you something," I say, taking his hand and pulling him out of view of the boys inside the room.

"Is something wrong?" He asks sincerely.

"I have some news," I start, keeping myself from smiling for the moment. "I got a call from Mr. Calhoun's assistant."

Ben searches my face for any indication of what the answer was. "And?"

"And I start rehearsals next week," I say, smiling slowly.

Happiness floods his face as he picks me up, spinning in a small circle. "That's amazing news, MJ!" He laughs softly as he sets me down. Then Ben kisses me.

~~~~~
double updates two days in a row! does that make this a double double update?
also I once again want to bring up that when I wrote this, I had a fraction of the knowledge about auditions and shows and how that works compared to what I know now (which still isn't a lot)

one more chapter in part one!

vote and comment!