Geting To Know You

Mr Rostwood went closer to reach the door. He slightly pushed it and the door retreated with a soft click, revealing a narrow hall. He got inside and started walking. The door creaked behind him and finally closed with a bang. The only sound, now, came from his heavy footsteps, followed by the constant knocking of his cane on the floor. The first door he met was at his right. He stopped and stood behind it. A sign indicated that it was the secretary's office. He knocked. A cold voice answered.
'Enter'.
He came in.

A blond woman, seated behind a large desk was writing something at a notebook. She raised slowly her eyes towards him.
'Good morning. How can I help you, sir?'
She asked roboticly.

'Yesterday you gave permission to a young boy to leave the premises.'
Mr Rostwood said.
'Can I talk to him?'

The woman searched her documents and archives.
'Jayson Grey, is it?'
She finally said.
'I am afraid we are not accepting visitors on Sunday. Tomorrow we can happily please your needs.'
She said not indicating the smallest sign of emotion, neither with her voice nor with her face.

'I am afraid I do not care about what you do on Sundays.'
Mr Rostwood replied raising slightly his voise.
'I have to talk to him , it is important.' He added resting his crossed hands over his cane and delivering her a sharp glare.

'Very well.'
The woman said. Another bell, now, rang.
'It seems that his lessons have ended. You can talk to him.'
She said, not wanting to irritate the man further.

Mr Rostwood left the office without even looking at her and started walking towards the direction he could hear some noice from. After turning at the corner of the hall, he saw a group of children, hastily heading down the stairs to get their lunch. He scanned the crowed and he finally saw the boy he had met. It was easy to find him. He was the skinniest of them all.

The boy also saw him and a shocked expression formed in his face. He came closer to the man and looked at him not knowing what to say.

'Good morning young man.'
Mr Rosttwood said with his heavy voice.

'Hello.'
Anwered the boy.

'Are you busy right now?'

The boy seemed confused.
'No, I am done with the lessons, sir.'

Mr Rostwood took out his pipe. He felt like he had ages to smoke and when he finally did, he got calmer.
'Well, do you want us to go and talk a bit then?'

The boy after thinking of it, raised reluctantly his shoulders.
'Ok.'
He managed.

'Hmm...Any idea of an empty and quiet place, with no children and no annoying secretaries?'
He said indicating with his head at the direction of the office he had come from.

The boy lauged a bit. Mr Rostwood actually got proud for this achievement. He also gave an honest smile to the boy.

'Let me show you then.'
Said the boy mysteriously as if he was going to reveal a secret passage, only him having the knowledge of its existence.

He led him outside of the building at a small yard. They walked down the various paths, turning a few times. They reached a garden, but they didn't stop. They walked under a small gate and continued following another path. They, again, turned once or twice and they finally were located at an open empty space. Mr Rostwood was pleasantly surprised.

They were surrounded by a few trees and right in front of them, was a lake. Birds were happily playing with the water and the sun was glittering on the lake's surface.

Jayson sat down at the rough cement, with his small arms around his legs and gazing in front of him, his eyes narrowed a bit from the sun's glare. Mr Rostwood lowered himself and sat right next to him.

'How do you know about this place?' He asked not even trying to hide his surprise.

'That's where I come when I need some time alone.'
Said the boy naturaly, with his eyes still on the scenery in front of him.

Mr Rostwood studied him.
'And do you come here often?'

'Everyday.'
Came the answer.

Mr Rostwood took a big sip of his pipe and let the smoke out of his mouth slowly.

'Jayson isn't it?' He asked him.

Jayson didn't expect him to know his name.
'Yeah, they call me Jay.'

Silence followed. A gentle breeze hit their faces.

'What's happening here Jay?'
Mr Rostwood's serious tone made Jayson look at him.
'What is this place anyway?'
He wondered loudly, looking around skeptically.'

'They do nothing bad to us.'
Started the boy.
'They also do nothing good for us. They never shout at us. They also never talk to us gently. They never mind if we do stupid things. They also never care if we do good things. They are all the time around us, but nobody feels their presence anymore. I've heard that a kid once tried to pass through a woman who worked in the kitchens, believing that she might not realise.'
He let out a laugh, but seeing the man's serious expression, he went on.
'Anyway. We don't mind that now. It's a bit odd for the new ones, but they finally also get used to it.'

'If you don't mind it, why do you find it so helpful to come here?'

Jayson's expression changed. His eyes betrayed sadness.
'I feel the need to think about some things.'
He just said.

'Like?'

The boy raised his head and looked straight at the man's eyes.
'Like how it feels to have a family.'

Give me a vote if you liked and don't forget to let me know your opinion in the comments ;)