The Last Day

The fireplace was burning a lot less than before now. The house was all quit, except of the fire's creaking. Jay was fast asleep at the sofa and Mr Roswood was sleeping on the carpet. They were calm and warm, under a roof, all safe and dry. But, someone or something in this strange house was awaken. Jay could feel that something wasn't right. In his deep sleep, he could feel that something was wrong.

Suddently a loud crack was heard. Jay opened his eyes at once, breathing fast. Another sound. Like someone was trying to escape from somewhere in the house.
'Hey, wake up!'
He whispered to Mr Rostwood frightened.

Mr Rostwood mumbled something in his sleep. The noice was heard again and Mr Rostwood woke up fully. He saw Jay sitting next to him, a shoked expression on his face. He stood up and headed slowly towards the spot where the sound was heard. He stood before the black sheet that was covering something, and Jay had seen before. He took it in his hand. With a fast and steady move he pushed it down. What he uncovered was the last thing they could have imagined.

There, infront of their very eyes, was a bat, enclosed in a wide cage. It was all black, and they could barely destinguish it's head from the rest of it's body. It was eyeing them threatenly, widing it's wings and popping out it's nails. It let another noise, making Jay step back. Why on earth would somebody want to have such a thing in their house?

Footsteps now were heard from the hall. Their host approached them with a lamp on his hand.

'Oh, I see you've met my little pet. Time to feed her anyway.'
He said mysteriously, singing the last word. He opened a vase with a wird liquid substance and pured the inside of it in a feeding pot into the cage.

Mr Rostwood couldn't hold himself.
'What on earth is wrong with you in this place?'
He said half amused and half descusted.

After that they couldn't sleep anymore. They showerd and ate breakfast to have strength for their departure. As they were eating the man was watching them closely.

'So what brings you here?'
He asked curiously.

Mr Rostwood looked at him.
'Business.'
He just said. But after thinking for a little bit he said;
'We hear a lot of rumors around here.'

The man was perplexed.
'What kind of rumors?'

'Nothing of a great importance.'
Said Mr Rostwood leaving Jay wondering were he was heading the matter to. Mr Rostwood took out his pipe, making a casual impression.
'We, at some moment, came across a very odd house, deserted. In a hill beside the river. We had heard stories about that from folks at the pub.'

Now the man started to understand.
'Ooh. You are talking about John's and Mary's house, for Lord's sake.'
His voise had darkened.
'It was a tragedy. The beautiful woman got sick. The young man had no money to heal her. She finally died in her home. Young John lost his job. He couldn't raise their two children alone. He lost his mind, only alcohol could make him happy. He also got sick. It was tragic.'
He repeated.

'What about the children?'
Asked Mr Rostwood.

'The girl, Lora, had no other choice but to work, so that she and her small brother, Jay, could survive. She worked as a maid in a wealthy house. They treated her badly and they gave her few money. As the time went by, they started controlling her more and more. They finally forbade her from leaving the premisses. She was bound to serve them, so that she could survive. Not having another choice, Lora, accepted her fate and send her small brother to an orphanage, kissing him goodbye.'
He finished.

Mr Rostwood gave a warning look to Jay not to reveal himself.
'What happened to her?'
Asked Mr Rostwood.

'Legend sais she died. Others say she still works there, in this lonly place, cut from all the outside world. Nobody has seen her from then and nobody knows were she is.'

Silence fell over them. They had stopped eating and they were just staring at their plates.

'I thing it is time for us to leave.'
Said Mr Rostwood standing up.

They packed their last things and thanked the man wholeheartidly. He even gave them some water and food supplies for their journay.

Mr Rostwood gave politly his hand to the man and waved him goodbye. It was a nice, sunny morning and everything was peaceful down the street. They were fresh and full of energy, ready to start their journey back home.

After asking some locals for help, they managed to reach the train platform and a few moments later, the great black and red stream train appeared. A cool breez hit Jay's face as he turned back to see for one more time his childhood's place. A smile formed in his face. No matter how far away he would be, this town would always reside in his heart. He felt Mr Rostwood's hand on his shoulder and he got into the train. Here they were again, living this place and heading towards their next big adventure.

Thanks for reading! ;)