And So The Journey Begins...

The days passed by and Mr Rostwood kept coming to the orphanage, after done with work, same hour, waiting for the child to finish with his lessons.
A special bond had been created between the two of them, and Jay only stayed in the orphanage to sleep and attend lessons. He spent the rest of the day, walking side by side with Mr Rostwood, talking for hours and going to so many different places, that Jay wondered how vast London could be. Mr Rostwood had been covering nearly all the boy's needs and slowly but steadily, he got to know all about Jay.

They continued this way for months and their relationship grew so powerful, that it seemed totally natural to them to live with one another as well. After dealing with all the paperwork, none of them had difficulty adapting to the new adoption situation. In fact, it wasn't new at all. Jay continued his education in a public school and had no problem making new friends. He also missed his friends from the orphanage, though, so he often visited them. The days passed peacefully and Jay trusted the man with all his heart, but Mr Rostwood could tell that something was bothering the boy lately.

They were calmly eating their lunch, when Mr Rostwood decided to talk to him.

'Why so quiet these days, Jay?'

Jay looked up at him. He too wanted to talk about it.

'Have you any idea where York is located?'

Mr Rostwood looked puzzled.
'York huh? I know that's three hours from London or something. Haven't been there, though. What are you thinking about anyway?'

'The only thing that anyone ever told me back in the orphanage about my past life, was that I used to live there with my parents. I always wanted to visit that place, to imagine myself living there.'
He said simply, looking down at his plate, playing absently with his spoon.

'Do you think it's wise?'
Said Mr Rostwood skeptically.

'Can we go to my old home?'
Asked Jay at once. This was exactly what had stuck on his mind the last couple of days.

'Jay...I don't think it would do you any good.'
Mr Rostwood could not hide his hesitation. He had no idea how the boy would react, visiting the forgotten house he once lived in with his family. He had always believed that the past, that could not be altered, didn't need any digging at all.

'But why?'
Asked Jay angrily.

'Finish your food.'
Said Mr Rostwood stiffly.

'I am not hungry.'
Replied Jay and ran to his room.

'Come back here, boy!'
Shouted Mr Rostwood, but Jay pretended he didn't hear. He got to his room and closed the door with a big bang.

Mr Rostwood remained at his seat, trying to calm himself, and finished slowly his food.

It got dark outside and Jay was still in there. But, at some moment he couldn't continue like this and came outside to eat something. Mr Rostwood was sitting in the living room, reading casually his newspaper. When he saw Jay, he gave him a surprised look.
'I thought you weren't hungry.'

'I am now.'
Said Jay.

Mr Rostwood stood up and walked towards the boy. He gave him a plate of food and sat next to him, watching him closely. He seemed depressed.
'We are departing tomorrow moring for York. You'd better rest. There is a long journey ahead.'
He said suddenly and got up to leave the room.

Jay smiled in excitement. He ate quickly and started preparing his backpack for tommorow. It was going to be a long night.

******************

The next morning Jay woke up earlier than dawn.
Mr Rostwood was still in deep sleep, but Jay's enthousiasm didn't allow him a moment's rest. He opened his window and let the soft breeze heat his face. It had rained during the night and he could still smell the wet land. He continued gazing outside, when the first daylight, hesitantly broke through the clouds. He hadn't witnessed something like this before. The dark, cloudy sky, slowly got covered with a faint, eerie orange light. And from nowhere, the sun revealed from His secret hidding place.

Jay smiled. He found it so comforting to see Nature continue, calmly, Her pace, no matter what happened in this life. Suddenly, he heard a door opening. Mr Rostwood must have woken up.

Jay saw him pass his room sleepily.
'Just in time to see the dawn.'
Said Jay cheerfully and he got an interesting 'Hmff' for a reply.

'I think I told you to rest.'
Said Mr Rostwood, while taking a sip of his coffee, looking strictly at the boy seated next to him at the table.
'How long have you been awake?'
He asked slightly amused.

'Dunno. I just couldn't wait, I guess.'
Jay answered and made the man smile to him.

Few moments later, everything was ready. Mr Rostwood had put on his travelling coat and his high hat and Jay had his backpack full of food and drinking supplies for the journey.

They started walking together down the street. It was too early and very few people were to be seen. This quiet atmosphere, combined with the foggy and cloudy day, gave a hint of mystery to the whole day ahead.

They arrived at the train platform and, after waiting for some minutes, they heard the typical steam engine's whistle. The clock above them, ticked loudly at 6:30. The sound of the train  sliding on the tracks became louder and louder, until its black and red form appeared and stopped right infront of them.

They went aboard and chose a tiny apartment with two seats and a small table, near the window.

And so the journey started. They passed through valleys and lands, Jay had never seen before. They could discern, as much as the fog allowed them, huge mountains and vast lakes. They passed villages and whole towns with names Jay had never heard of before. At last the first historical signs of York appeared. Castles and bunkers came into view and the two main rivers, upon which the town had been built- Ouse and Foss. They dived deeply into the city and one of the biggest cathedrals in Europe showed itself, The great York Minster. Now, the first houses started welcoming the newcomers.

Jay was on the edge of his seat, watching awe-struck all the beauty around him, trying hard to catch everything at once, not to miss a single detail of the scene ahead of him.

Had he really, actually, lived there once? Oh, if only he could go back in time just to see himself and his family living peacefully in this heaven on earth!

Thanks for reading!