Cold And Heartless

Lora was sleeping deeply inside a small room, her long blond hair covering her eyes. The moonlight was softly covering the yard's trees', depicting their looming shodows on the chamber's walls. She had spent hours and hours gazing at those shadows above her, letting her mind wonder freely. Smoke from the extincted candle at her bedside table, was slowly travelling upwords. In her deep sleep, she could still notice the delicate smell of the tea beside her.

...........

The morning light started to creep into the room. She was too tired, but she still had to wake up. Sighing she lifted herself up. It was going to be another endless day. She started preparing quickly. Maids always were to wear elegant clothes -a humble skirt and a decent shirt. She fixed her hair and washed her face.

'Lora! Come down here at once!'
Master's voice was heard.

She sighed. She started descending the staircase and headed towards the living room. She was a small girl when she entered this mansion first time and was bound to serve master and his wife forever after. She, at first had problems finding her way in this huge mansion, but now she had gotten used to it.

'Goodmorning sir.'
She said with a small bow.

The so-cold 'sir' was Mr Jones and was the richest man of the city. He was sitting at the table waiting for her to make him breakfast.

'Start my breakfast!'
He ordered and so she did.

The whole day Lora was either ordered around or yelled at. She was trying desperately to please him, but she never could. By the afternoon she had already cleaned the mansion twice, cooked lunch, taken care of the garden, washed the dishes, done the laundry, gone at the market and scrubbed the kichen's floor. She was too tired, but more work was awaiting her. There were also some other maids in the grounds, mostly to help the Misstres of the house, but  most of the work was done by Lora.

She was carefully preparing Mr Jones' tea when his wife, Mrs Rosmetta came in. Mrs Rosmetta was the type of person who would spend all day talking about how many dresses she had and how many jewellery she had and how many mansions she also owned. She was came from a rich family and never was never required to work. She was always walking with difficulty, because her weight wouldn't allow her otherwise. Her gaze was always lost and her face always red.

'Your master wants to see you.'
She told her, without looking at her and left instantly.

Lora got nervous. She finished the tea and headed towards Mr Jones' office.

She walked down the corridor trembling slightly, causing the cup on her hands to shake. She knocked the office door and got in. She positioned nervously the cup next to Mr Jones and stood in front of him.

'You wanted to see me sir.'
She said trying to look calm.

Mr Jones took his time and started drinking the tea, his cold and heartless gaze upon her.
'That is true.'
He finally said.
'You are well aware of my status.'
He started and the maid nodded.
'Good.'
He stood up and started walking in circles around her.
'You are also well aware that buisness is not going good.'
He crossed his fingers behind his back and stopped walking to look at her.

'Yes, sir'
She said.

'Good. Now I want you to know that I have decided to reduce the number of maids in my service.'
He said dominantly making Lora look up at him.
'Therefore, it is my wish that you are dismissed from your dutes.'
And with that he sat back down and drunk calmly his tea.

Lora was devastated. She had spent so many years of her life in there. Her parents were dead and her little brother lost. A woman like her, with no money and not married had no chance to build her life again. She remained there silent not knowing what to do.
'You heard me.'
He said raising his voice.
'Now I have work to do. Tommorow you are leaving.'
And with that he turned his face away from her and started reading the papers infront of him.

Lora got out of the office and continued her chores, with a heavy heart, tears running down her face.
Never had she heard a kind word in this place, never was she allowed a private life, never was she given enough money to go out on her own. All this only to have a roof under her head and a plate of food. Now she was left completely helpless.

It was dark. Here she was again, in her small room, looking outside her window for the last night.

Thanks for reading everyone!